Project Templates- Dynamic Due Dates (T+)

YES PLEASE let’s get this created @asana!

+1 interested in dynamic due dates native to Asana functionality.

This would be AMAZING. Asana, as this ask has been out for 2+ years, do you have an updated ETA for this functionality?

+1. Any ETA @Asana?

One of our commonly used task templates has a long list (20-30+) of subtasks attached to it, with corresponding due dates based on specific amounts of time prior to the “final” due date.

For example, when we hold a “101” class on May 1, there are certain tasks leading up to the class date the day before, a week prior, three weeks prior, etc. We hold these “101” classes, among others, multiple times per month, and I lose a lot of time manually assigning due dates to the tasks leading up to it every time we schedule a course.

A feature that would make my life much easier would be if we could pre-set those due date ‘intervals’ in a template so that once the top-level task’s due date is assigned, the rest of those lead-up tasks would automatically have their dates assigned.

Hi @Shana_Solarte

There’s another thread on this topic that has a bit of a head start, if you want to add your vote:

1 Like

Is there a way to do dynamic scheduling in Asana similar to MS Project? So If I know the estimated duration of a task, and the start date, Asana will auto-populate the end date? And If I mark a task dependent on another task, will the start / end dates auto-update based on when I move the dependent task?
Also, and this would be a super nice to have, can you set the dependent task + / - “x” days / months / etc. (i…e, have dependency based on FS, SF, FF, SS)?
My company wants me to use Asana instead of MS Project, but so far I cannot see how Asana offers the same dynamic scheduling capability / features as MS Project. The big piece of the puzzle that is missing in Asana is the ability to set a task start date and duration and have the end date auto-populate based on those 2 inputs (and be able to set “working days” so it does not account for weekend days when calculating “end date”). So figured I’m missing something and am asking the experts!

Thank you!

1 Like

Asana definitely does not offer dynamic scheduling. To cover this base, my team has been using Instagantt. Not perfect, but it does offer a ton more functionality in this realm.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @jane.kelchlin and thank you for reaching out! :wave:

As @Sam_sommers has explained, this is not possible in Asana yet. There is an existing thread regarding this topic in the Forum so if you don’t mind I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with to avoid duplications. I would suggest you to upvote it! :slight_smile:

Hi @jane.kelchlin and @Sam_sommers,

FYI Flowsana’s Dynamic Duration Workflow provides this capability - you might want to check it out.

Hi @Natalia,
When will Dynamic Due Dates T+ / T- be a function within Asana? I don’t think our leadership will want to pay for a 3rd party integration, so hoping this function will be available on Asana soon. We are testing the Business level membership right now and this functionality is crucial for all of the Project Managers’ buy-in, as they’re moving from doing their project plans on MS Excel and MS Project

Hi @Kristina_Dojillo :wave: Thank you for reaching out!

I completely understand how useful this functionality would be for your Organization. Unfortunately I don’t have a precise timeline to share on this topic but I’ll make sure to update here as soon as I do!

Have a great day Kristina!

1 Like

Well that is a massive pain. I have just set my my whole company up on Asana was looking to have month recurring projects, with subtasks for different staff. This thread has been going for two years with no response from Asana. Really dissapointing. I guess I am off to Teamwork or Monday.

We are trying to do the same thing.

We have a launch plan for each product we release. Under each launch project is a huge amount of tasks that need to be completed x amount of days before the release date of the product.

This is an easy way for us to set due dates, simply by saying that the task needs to be completed x days before release.

If there is a beta group for testing, or some information on when this will be available please inform!

Hey Sam,

Would you mind explaining how you do this? Do you use Instagantt standalone or integrated to Asana?

Instagantt integrates with Asana. So you register for Instagantt and it gives you the opportunity to link your projects in Asana.

I suggest adding a “# of days” field to the Asana library for creating schedules. This field would allow users to use project templates more effectively, so we can configure the template with # of days per each task and then the project start and end dates could then configure all the granular schedule dates from that.

1 Like

It already exists: create a project, make it a template, assign a start and/or due date on the project. Then when creating a project based on the template, you are offered to shift all the dates based on a new start date or new end date.

Welcome to the Forum @carmen.arnold and thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

Adding to @Bastien_Siebman reply, sounds like your request is similar to: Project Templates- Dynamic Due Dates (T+) - #56 by graham

If that’s the case, please let me know and I’ll be happy to merge them to consolidate feedback.

Looking forward to your reply! :slight_smile:

Also, @carmen.arnold, please note that what you’re asking for is exactly what’s available in the Dynamic Duration workflow type of my Flowsana integration.