Project Sorting

Hey there. I’m hoping to migrate my team (and possibly the company) away from existing software to Asana but was stopped in my tracks when I realized I couldn’t easily sort my project list without essentially having to use multi-step hacks. Reading up on the boards here, it seems people have been requesting the ability to sort projects alphabetically, by date, and/or by label for over three years but get met with either “This is already been requested, topic closed” or “There are no current development plans to include this, topic closed”.

This seems like a day one feature and attempting to migrate and organize 100+ projects for my team seems rather unappealing without this basic functionality. But what worries me more is the lack of a response to the customers for several years. So…

• Is there a plan to include this functionality?
  • If so, what is the timeline?
  • If not, could some context be offered in the name of transparency?

I invite you to read your Corporate Mission page and ask yourself, are you achieving that mission:

Work shouldn’t be chaos

At Asana, we’re building a place where everything from the most immediate details to the big picture are organized. With Asana, each person knows what they should be doing and why. This clarity, transparency, and focus allows teams to collaborate with less friction and produce great results.

We believe coordination should be as effortless between people as it is between our own brains and bodies, that people should be appreciated, and love what they do.

Asana is very responsive on some topics. My guess is that they don’t plan to work on project sorting anytime soon and did not find it useful to share that information, to not throw grease on the fire.

Can you share why you need projects to be sorted? My intuition is that you are used to that organization, even though there are other ways to deal with this in Asana.

• you can use the portfolios to group project together
  • you can use teams to group projects together
  • you can have “fake project” called “-----WHATEVER----” used a separator in your project list
  • you can have a list of projects as task, and inside each task have a link to the actual project <---- that is the best solution in your case I believe

If you are able to share a bit more about your need, I could help!

I have had great success in grouping projects by Team. A team structure can be accessed by creating an Organization workspace through the unpaid version. All it takes is a corporate domain e-mail. See more at: