Project filtering

Hi,
I’m using Asana for a long time (paid version).
Unfortunately, I really want to move out of Asana, and the main reason is missing filtering ability.
In my opinion, the base main features for a tasks management app are:

• See a list of issues
  • Assign them to different team members
  • Filter tasks in a project by different categories (assignee, time range, labels, custom fields etc).

Currently, Asana lacks the filter options, which make it almost not usable for a team with more than 3-4 people.
I keep seeing your progress with shiny new features every few weeks, but really sad that you don’t first implement the very base features.

I really hope to see this feature soon. Any timeline or planning to do so is great.

Thanks,
Gilad.

I agree with you! I also miss the ability to filter inbox by project! If you miss it too you can participate in this discussion: Improve project notifications to make it easier for project manager to track multiple projects - #3 by Francesco_Canovi
Best,

Francesco-

Don’t you see filtering as the “sorting” option in Asana? Asana is a very versatile solution, so I think it will need a bit of work on your end to get the right structure and processes in place. I don’t agree that assigning tasks to different team members is the base of a task management app. You can let people follow, but eventually, one person is or should be responsible. image

I agree with you! I also miss the ability to filter inbox by project
I’m not talking about this, rather about in project filtering.

@Carl_Dieryckx
Thanks for your response.
I don’t see sorting and filtering as same at all. especially when I want more than one filter.
For example:
I want to see all issues with specific label grouped by an assignee.
Or only critical issues (I have a custom field called priority) grouped by an assignee.
Sometimes I want to see only critical bugs (I have type custom field with values such as feature, bug, question etc’). so it’s 2 filters.
Sorting will give me only one field to use. And except this, It keeps the “noise” on the board. So I see a lot of non-relevant issues between my relevant groups. Which make it very hard to focus on what important right now.

At the end of the day, I worked with a lot of tools during more than 12 years as a software developer and team leader, and currently, with Asana I just feel very bad UX which mostly caused by this missing filtering.
(I have more feedbacks for other feature but this is by far the most important).
I really want to see you improving the product since I really think it has great potential, and I’m willing to do my best and give feedbacks about possible filtering feature.

(Regarding the assignee statement I might don’t explained my self well. I’m talking about assign someone to be responsible, I don’t see any special problem with Asana regarding this).

1 Like

Advanced search seems like the only option to suit your need here.

I think Asana shines in giving people a broader view on things. Some people don’t see this as added value and want to “deep dive”. In that case, other software is better software.

1 Like

The advanced search might be an option. It’s not the best experience as just having some filter row in the top of the project but i can live with the extra clicks.
The problem is that search results doesn’t show custom fields. so now I don’t have the priority and type fields in my list.

Hi @Gilad_Shoham1,

I tried to perform a search, just as you described it and all options were possible:

So I could select both Assignee and the Custom field “Priority” :slight_smile:

To avoid clicking this field too often, you can save the search into your Reports in the sidebar - our Project Manager use this method to get an overview an all the tasks who are mentionned with “Help” for example…

Hope that this could help a bit further :slight_smile:

Ben
Asana Solutions Partner

Thanks,

I was able to filter by custom field, and also saw the save option to the sidebar.

What i miss is to see the custom fields in the search results.

For example I filter a project by few different assignee (don’t want to see all the people but only tasks of my team). Then in the results list i can’t see the priority and type.