Project custom fields showing up in subtasks

All fields created for a project are displaying on every single subtask of every task associated with that project. Note that subtasks in question have not been explicitly assigned to the project. This is happening in every project in Asana and to every team member in our Organization.

Steps to reproduce: Open project, click task - fields appear correctly, click subtask of that task - fields persist where they should not be.

Browser version: Chrome Version 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Upload screenshots below:

1 Like

Hi @Jess_K,

This is actually not a bug but is part of a new change in Asana where the first level of subtasks now appears in an outline format in a project’s main task list. As part of that change, custom fields have to be added to the subtasks (even though the subtasks are not attached to the project). You can read more about it here (especially my explanatory posts in that thread :slight_smile: and add your vote if you’re not happy with the change):

Well that’s an incredibly dumb change. Thanks for pointing me to the right place. Read up on the thread that motivated this change and this is not actually what the overwhelming majority of people were even asking for!

1 Like

Thanks Phil,

I am definitely not happy with the change, as this is a major change of functionality that ruins the entire setup I have in place. You need to make this configurable in the custom field setup. You need an option there that lets users choose whether they want subtasks to inherit the custom fields or not. It is causing a huge issue for us. The fact that functionality like this would change from one day to the other makes me lose trust in Asana being a reliable solution for our process. If we can’t rely on functionality to remain in place, then it’s just not a scalable solution for our enterprise. It’s great that you’re adding functionality, but to completely change how something works is not ok.

It’s NOT OK to assume that subtasks can inherit the custom fields of parent tasks. Of couse some use cases will benefit from that, but it needs to be configurable!
I am basically left without a working process in production at the moment, and to say you can vote here, good luck, is absolutely not ok. Who in Asana can I escalate this to? Tenable is an Enterprise size customer.

Thanks,

Julia

I mentioned this in another thread, but just to make sure folks are clear, I’m not an Asana employee - had nothing to do with this change nor can I affect any updates to it.

I don’t know the answer to that - I’ll let @Marie provide an answer!

Thanks for your help and for mentioning me @Phil_Seeman :+1:t3:

@Julia_Cassidy1, I’m so sorry to hear this update is creating some issues with your Workflows. Unfortunately as it stands there is no option to remove custom fields from subtasks, but this update is very new so hopefully, this is something we can improve in the future. In the meantime, feel free to reach out to your point of contact at Asana, our customer success managers who are probably familiar with your workflow might be able to advise with some workarounds. On my end, I’ve gone ahead and escalated your feedback, and I’ll be sure to loop you in if we come up with a better solution.

If there is anything I can help with feel free to post in the Forum or drop me a DM, I’ll be more than happy to help!

I’m shocked about this. This is not a case of “I’m sorry you’re unhappy about this change”. This renders processes useless that were built on Asana’s advice on how to introduce custom fields into subtasks.
This change affects all people who followed Asana’s advice.

This change is not “creating some issues with my workflow”. It is rendering my workflow useless and I’m not the only one.

2 Likes

Totally agree with this:

My tasks look even worse than in the screenshot from Jess_K, I have even more custom fields and some of them are called the same on different layers (but are used differently and come from different projects) and I am collecting the values of some of them via API. Asana was great and worked perfectly, now, with one careless update, its usefulness has been seriously reduced. It’s quite sad.

1 Like

I am in total agreement. There must be a toggle to control whether custom fields cascade to subtasks or not.

We are running our entire business system using Asana and this is creating a major problem for us.

Due to the flexibility of Asana, it can be used in so many ways. Some of those ways are critical.

Please roll this update back or put a fix in place asap. @Marie

3 Likes