Problem - The same task is appearing differently depending on which project I add it too.

I have two Projects; the first is called Backlog, where all my roadmap items for 2022 are stored (top image). Each task has a bunch of custom fields inside it, such as priority, timeline, scope and so on. The second project is called Seller (below image), and this is where I bring Backlog tasks in to start working on for my sprint.

However when I select a task from the Backlog Board and then add it to the Seller Board, all the pills that contain the custom field information on that task disappear visually, wherever in List or Board view. The task still contains all the information such as priority, scope etc, but unlike in the Backlog board, it will not display it on the task itself?

Why? And how can I get it so the task looks and behaves the exact same way in both projects. When I click into the task in Sellers board all the custom field information is there and the same, its just not showing it. I added the task to the second board by using the project dropdown inside the task

Same task, containing same custom fields (when opened), with different visual information on display

Hello @Henry_Cull welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

If you have the same custom fields added in both projects but they are not showing in the list view you need to toggle the visibility in the settings, see: List View Redesign • Asana

Does that help?

3 Likes

Hey @Andrea_Mayer , thanks for the response.

I do not have the fields drop down showing on either project, like you have here.

Also, the Seller project does not have the same custom fields added. The reason for this is that if I remake the same custom fields in this project I end up with duplicate fields displaying when I open the task, i.e If I had a custom ‘Priority’ field made in the first project that field is still visible in the task as well as the new one I just made.

Hello @Henry_Cull

in your Asana project when you go to list view you do not have the fields option?
What Asana plan are you on?

„The reason for this is that if I remake the same custom fields in this project I end up with duplicate fields displaying when I open the task“

Not really because you can just use the same custom field :slight_smile: Like you create one and save it to be used by the whole organization, see Custom Fields • Asana

Does that help?

2 Likes

Yep no fields menu option for me in list view. We are on enterprise plan.

Your suggestion of only using organization wide fields works! If I manually add the same org field options across all my projects/boards it will carry over and display the task field information.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. It’s not the ideal solution as we currently have over 12,000 people using Asana, which means whenever I try to create a ‘Priority’ or ‘Scope’ org field that makes sense in our team I cannot as all the names (and variations) are already being used, and with set-up’s that wont work.

For example ‘Engineering POC’ (a commonly required field), will have been taken by someone else and populated with tea members only relevant to them, making it an unusable name and org for me. About 8 other variations of the name also taken. It forces me to make unclear or overly long names for my fields, but not the end of the world :wink:

One final question - Is there a way to ‘move’ a task, from one board to another, without creating a duplicate. I would like to be able to move a task when its ‘Ready’ from one board and not have it also remain in the existing one, as it currently does.

H

Oh okay I see yeah that makes sense now regarding the custom fields.

„One final question - Is there a way to ‘move’ a task, from one board to another, without creating a duplicate. I would like to be able to move a task when its ‘Ready’ from one board and not have it also remain in the existing one, as it currently does.“

Yes definitely I often do this also. You can just create the task in one project and then multihome the task or even just remove the current and add another project.
See Task actions: create, move, duplicate, and more | Product guide • Asana

Or if you need to move more tasks at once you can do so in list view:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.