Private vs. Public Tasks

I’m wondering if there is a way to set a Public Project so that anything I add to it is ALSO automatically added to a Private Project but NOT in the reverse. I want to keep things I put in the Private Project directly to remain private. Thank you.

First, you can have a task in multiple projects. That’s the key to this.

Second, if you add the task you want to track both publicly and privately to the private project, the people on the task that have access to it won’t get access to the private project.

This means you have to be cognizant when creating new tasks in the public project of also adding them to the private project. Also it would be important to note that any comments in the task would be visible in both the public and private project.

If that doesn’t work, your next option would probably be to copy the task or use the “follow-up on task” feature to create tasks that link to the public project’s tasks. If you go that route you’ll have to do the task management twice and keep things synchronized.

Any more than this would probably require development using Asana’s API and is beyond my expertise.

Thanks Ryan. That’s basically what I’ve been doing. I was hoping for some automatic way so they show up in both places under certain conditions and one place in others. I guess it’s on to the API.

Good luck! If you have success I’d love to hear about it :slight_smile:

You can probably just set up a zap w/zapier (which ofc uses the API so you can code this yourself if you want) - task added to project, so add task to x project, etc.

So if my projects are set to public just to the people i invite to that team. they are the only members that can see that project, and no other projects unless i invite them, correct? I have the need to create so many separate teams that i want to make sure only the people in each team that i create can see the projects/tasks that i add them to. FYI - i use the Basic (free) version.

Welcome to the Forum @Tricia_Wojdon and thank you for reaching out!

If your project is Public it can be accessed by the project members and all the team members where that project is nested. Please note that if the Team is also public, all the Organization Members that are not part of the Team can also see public projects within that Team.

On the other hand, if you set your project as Private, it can only be accessed by the project memebrs.

You can learn more about project permissions in the following guide article: Project permissions | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

I would also recommend you to have a look at this article related to Team permissions: Team permissions in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

I hope it helps Tricia! Have a great weekend!

Thanks for the info. So from what I can see, I don’t have the ability to make teams private/public. These are the options I’m seeing when creating a new Team. What does Membership by Request mean?

Privacy

X - Membership by Request

Hidden (Upgrade to Premium)

Public to Organization (Upgrade to Premium)

I’m guessing this is a limitation to the Basic plan. Would I need to upgrade to the Premium plan to have this feature?