Prevent Users from Deleting Tasks

I wanted to write a very long reply to this thread, but Tim_Shipman saved me the time to do so. Let me quote Tim and add my voice here:

By Tim Shipman:

“Security of data is vital to any business. Loss of that data can not only waste time, but cripple or even kill a project or business. Tools like Asana are supposed to facilitate productivity and efficiency; however, the lack of control over task deletion is inexcusable for such a mature product in my opinion (and why I would not commit my staff to use it - despite it being a powerful tool). Requests to have this handled have been ignored for over two years, and these are requests from people with Asana accounts only, I would strongly suspect that many people with a best practice approach to data management evaluate the product like I have, and then drop it as a contender due to this flagrant flaw. Asana needs to stop devaluing the business data of their customers, and give admins the peace of mind and security they need, and make this task a priority now. I work in IT and creating “delete notifications” is something you already track (per Patrick Lorenz), so that would not be hard to implement. Extending your user permissions to prevent task deletion is obviously harder. It is shockingly inexcusable in my opinion that Asana disregards best practice on this data management point. If Asana user base truly knew how much their data was at risk, and the consequences of how that impacts their business I believe they would be outraged, and they would definitely lose customers.”

4 Likes

It’s really crazy and I dont understand at all, why this issue is not being resolved. A project management tool should help business to thrive and not putting them at risk of loosing valueable data.

4 Likes

We share the same problem.

Truthfully, had we known we wouldn’t be able to prevent users from deleting tasks they did not create, we wouldn’t have purchased the Asana subscription.

We will give it a few months to see if you are planning on creating this crucial safety measure.
Otherwise we will have no choice but to move to different service provider.

Something for the ASANA team to consider:
As a paying customer, when I purchase a service to monitor my employees tasks , the first and most BASIC requirement is to have control over deletions. Far more than any other product features .

I cannot think of any other feature development that is more important than this one for businesses, Unless you aim Asana for personal use only which is clearly not the case… so PLEASE fix this !!
we really love the other features in Asana and don’t want to leave but this requirement is a MUST for us!

4 Likes

This has been an open request since 2018 @Anat_D …I don’t expect it being something they will resolve in a few months.

3 Likes

@Skyler I believe the request goes back to 2014 - this is something we have been asking for since then - but the team at Asana do not seem to consider this a priority.

Definitely not surprised. I imagine it’s an architecture limitation that came as a result of limited foresight.

1 Like

Wholeheartedly agree. This is concerning.

Why do we have notifications such as updates and “your project has been duplicated” but not that a task has been deleted? I think the latter would be more useful.

4 Likes

This was an issue in my last job managing a software development team. I occasionally would suspect that something I thought I had added but couldn’t find had accidentally been deleted. I was surprised to learn that this has been an issue as long as it has.

I decided to take matters into my own hands and make an app to issue an alert (as a new private task) when a task is deleted. It works but could still use some more real world testing so please let me know if you’d like to give it a try.

If all goes well I’ll try to get it into the app store for everyone to use. Hopefully we won’t need it for long.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in trying it & giving feedback!

1 Like

I’d be happy to try it.

1 Like

@Lisa15 and @Stephanie_Oberg, the app is live and ready for testing so please check your PMs for info on how to install.

Anyone else who might be interested - I’ll likely be able to take on 5-10 more users for testing starting next week so feel free to hit me up by PM if you’d like to give it a try.

1 Like

I couldn’t work out how to PM you, but I’d be happy to try it if you haven’t filled your quota!

Thanks!

@Maxine_Green, I think the ability to send PMs is restricted for new users but I just sent you one with the setup info.

I don’t want to pollute this thread too much so if anyone else is interested but isn’t able to send PMs yet, just hit me up at support@unrest.com.

It works great, thanks very much Doug!

2 Likes

The App is great, but missing a step up in security.

Employees that are assigned tasks or proyects, should be able to create tasks and manage them to completion without being able to delete tasks or proyects. Any bad employee could jeopordize a project by doing so.

Hi @Patrick_Abuchaibe,

There’s an existing Product Feedback thread with this request here - you can add your vote to it:

cc: @Forum-team

2 Likes

Wondering how was the issue marked as solved :roll_eyes:

Also this is going on for 3.5 months…oops years ( really :roll_eyes: )

Hugely disappointed for such a good product

3 Likes

Hi,

is there a way to prevent team members (with permissions in a project) from deleting tasks asigned to themselves or other team members? Furthermore, is there a way to prevent one user to mark another users task as compleated (except for the prject owner)?

Thnaks in advance,

Sebastian

2 Likes

Hello @Sebastian_Ochoa welcome to the Asana Forum
Unfortunately there is no this kind of options. Asana has very popular request for that:

Please vote on that one.

How I work with that:

• for very important tasks I’ve created private project with “comment only” option for collaborators - when I want to secure some task I connect it to this project

• once a week I check all deleted task across my organisation - using “advanced search” option

I hope it helps

3 Likes