Prevent Users from Deleting Tasks

Is there an update yet? We are tired of being placated.

2 Likes

+1 Hoping to get this also . Seems really important to read-access only on a task level vs user level.

2 Likes

I’d like to advise that no one should use Asana for anything mission critical until Asana adds the critically needed ability to set permissions to prevent employees from deleting tasks and projects and comments into thin air.

There is no centralized deleted item box.

There is no ability to be notified if they’ve deleted anything.

There is no way to prevent them from deleting tasks assigned to them by someone else if they have access to collaborate on a task.

8 Likes

Checking in AGAIN with @Marie.

We need an update from the product team. This is crucial we have this resolved immediately. We are mitigating tons of customers issues and it’s serious.

3 Likes

HI @Motor,

I understand the sense of urgency on your end and I’m sorry we haven’t had a chance to address this one yet. We’ve thousands of feature requests in the Forum and I know that each of these requests is a priority for at least one of our customers. Unfortunately, I don’t have an update on this topic at the moment, but as I’ve said before, I’m keeping a close eye on this request and I will post an update as soon as I have one - I just can’t promise when this will be the case.

I really don’t understand, why a software for TASK management does not offer key features to also protect those tasks.

4 Likes

I also think that those standard answers that are copy-pasted really don’t help anyone. Why have a forum anyway?!

3 Likes

EXACTLY. Please please tell everyone you know that uses Asana to upvote and post here to escalate this critical issue. Most users don’t realize the issue until it’s too late. We are helping customer left and right and it’s crisis mode over here. Asana support doesn’t always reach back to those clients for issues with this. Sometimes it goes weeks before they are able to “recover” data and then it doesn’t show what’s been recently “restored”. You just have to look through it all and try and see what is now appearing that was thre originally and was deleted and now was fully? Or maybe partially? Restored.

There’s no way to know.

1 Like

How is this not a thing yet

1 Like

Agreed! This is extremely important!
Without this restriction, Asana has severe limitations.

2 Likes

Looking for a new tool now. Asana has such potential but for years this reasonable and good solution has been ignored. That’s a shame.

2 Likes

Smartsheet looks like it has this functionality. It’s interface isn’t as nice as Asana though.

1 Like

Thanks Marie - we are on premium and this would be a great feature to have - we have had some people tick completed, when it hasn’t - if there was an opportunity to protect a section and/or task this would make us more effective…

3 Likes

Same with us. After using Asana a bit we quickly realized the inability to restrict members from deleting task is going to cause nightmare.
At best they should be allowed to mark tasks and sub tasks complete.
We are now evaluating Kanbanize tool that has some level of permissions for members at various levels.

2 Likes

It seems that you all have been working on this since 2018. Is it really that difficult to implement a protection feature for tasks or limit a user’s ability depending on which tasks they are assigned??? This seems like a simple fix and no offense but should be really obvious to a company that is branded for organization. Deleting a bunch of tasks without restriction from anyone? That seems unorganized to me.

3 Likes

Is there someone at Asana that can scream a little louder about this feature. Surely if you are working at Asana and using Asana, this would be a concern for you as well.
Can someone please prioritize this simple request that will help avoid some serious problems throughout your customers accounts.

3 Likes

Patrick i need your help to protect the Delete Task availability in Asana, can you help me?

Security of data is vital to any business. Loss of that data can not only waste time, but cripple or even kill a project or business. Tools like Asana are supposed to facilitate productivity and efficiency; however, the lack of control over task deletion is inexcusable for such a mature product in my opinion (and why I would not commit my staff to use it - despite it being a powerful tool). Requests to have this handled have been ignored for over two years, and these are requests from people with Asana accounts only, I would strongly suspect that many people with a best practice approach to data management evaluate the product like I have, and then drop it as a contender due to this flagrant flaw. Asana needs to stop devaluing the business data of their customers, and give admins the peace of mind and security they need, and make this task a priority now. I work in IT and creating “delete notifications” is something you already track (per Patrick Lorenz), so that would not be hard to implement. Extending your user permissions to prevent task deletion is obviously harder. It is shockingly inexcusable in my opinion that Asana disregards best practice on this data management point. If Asana user base truly knew how much their data was at risk, and the consequences of how that impacts their business I believe they would be outraged, and they would definitely lose customers.

10 Likes

Marvelous.

I can understand that adding user permissions and is fraught with difficulty and complications. I’d be happy to simply have ability to make specific Task harder to delete. A simple flag on the task marking it as “keep from delete” or something. If someone tries to delete the task, it won’t be deleted unless the “keep” flag is removed. This requires a deliberate action by the user to uncheck the “keep”, then delete the task. This prevents accidental deletions and discourages deliberate deletions. This should be incredible simple to implement.

I’m generally of the opinion that it is better to have accountability than locking things down. Event notifications for deleted tasks would greatly improve accountability.

From a more philosophical standpoint, if you have users deliberately and maliciously deleting critical tasks, you have a bigger problem on your hands and perhaps that employee should be fired.

2 Likes