Prevent dependencies from being marked complete

Here’s an improved version which continually updates the tasks list to show/hide blocked tasks.

Just chiming in to add my voice to the chorus of others begging Asana to implement the option to prevent dependent tasks from being completed until their precedent tasks are marked complete.

Looks like people started clamoring for this functionality 3-4 years ago… I’m disappointed that it’s still not available! @ ASANA PRODUCT TEAM: could you please update us? Is this in the current product roadmap? If not, what can we do to help make that happen?

We’re establishing process workflow templates for the creation of legal documents, and it’s crucial for us to FORCE the established order of operations (set up as a series of dependent sub-tasks).

1 Like

Any update on this?

We use Asana for our financial close list and its critical for us to have internal controls built into the list as part of passing our annual audit. Right now, blocked tasks can be marked complete in the detail pane and blocked Milestone tasks can be marked complete from the list. Both of these holes mean I have to put mitigating controls into place in order to pass our audit. It defeats the purpose of having an automated list. Please allow for the option of full blocking of dependent tasks and milestones

1 Like

Yes, we can’t get certified for quality either if we use Asana as our project management software…

As others have mentioned, we are using milestone with task dependencies, however, they can be marked complete without the task being completed.

Would also be great to add a dependency on an entire section, not just a task.

For example:

Section: Ads
Task: Ad 1
Task: Ad 2

Section: Reports
Task: Ad Reports Analytics (Dependency: Section Ads)

3 Likes

I literally just came in here to suggest this.

As already mentioned above it shows when tasks are blocked.

Screenshot_9595

Now what I noticed recently also is that when I try to mark a dependant task complete a pop-up appears asking me to confirm whether I really want to complete the task while the task is still blocked. I think this definitely helps to avoid marking blocked tasks as complete.
Screenshot_9596

Note though, this only happens if you click “Mark complete” in the task detail pane. If you right-click a task and mark complete from there, there’s no confirmation popup.

1 Like

Oh you are right,this is definitely not ideal! I wish the same pop-up would appear.