Prevent being a follower on task creation

followers

I have an integration with Zapier to create dozens of tasks and sub-tasks. it all works great. However, because I’m the authorized Zapier contact, everything is ‘created by me’ – which means I’m automatically added as a follower on every task. I can set additional followers through Zapier, but can’t seem to figure out how to prevent myself from being added as a follower. Any ideas out there?

There’s no way to disable that “automatic follower” functionality. Two possible solutions to suggest (yes, both have drawbacks which I mention…):

1. Use the API to remove the follower after the task is created; or for that matter, use the API to create the task and then remove the follower. (Yeah, I know this option kinda defeats the purpose and convenience of using Zapier, but I wanted to present all of the solutions I’m aware of.)

2. Create a “fake” user and have that be the user account that creates the tasks in Zapier. (Yeah, I know, that takes up a user slot.)

Thanks for the feedback – I hadn’t though about using a Zapier flow to remove the follower – which I thought was a good idea – however, after looking at it, it doesn’t look like that’s an option in Zapier.

I had thought about creating a new user, but we’re on a minimal paid plan and if we add another team member in the coming moths, we’ll be at our max capacity, so we literally can’t afford to have Zapier use its own license… as you mentioned.

I meant to use the Asana API to remove the follower, not Zapier (which can’t do it as you mentioned). But that does require you to have access to a developer (or hire one - contact @Bastien_Siebman if you’re interested in that latter approach).

thanks will take a look!