Show tasks and milestones per project in Portfolio Timeline

The portfolio feature is nice, but it has some limitations. Within the time line i would like to be able to see Milestone and tasks, not just milestone.

5 Likes

Hi @anon36108714, welcome to the Community Forum!

The Portfolio Timeline allows you to visualise all projects of your Portfolio in a Timeline view, but I’m afraid it doesn’t allow you to see these projects at the task level. If you’re looking to see tasks across multiple projects, simply multi-home all tasks of these projects in a Master Project > it will allow you to see all tasks of these projects and in a Timeline view!

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hi @Emily_Roman, assigning all taks to a Master Project is a very inefficient way to create a timeline overview of multiple projects. Being able to see the individual tasks / milestones in the Portfolio Timeline or see combine timelines of multiple projects would be a better solution. The Timeline feature of Portfolios is now really useless.

15 Likes

I agree with Rolf and Scott. If there were a way to select a project in Timeline view and expand to see all tasks – like add a + to each project to expand or collapse it, that would give us the flexibility to see a quick, simple due date view or a more comprehensive task view. It’s really inefficient to have to click through every project individually to see task status.

7 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation @Kim_Ethridge. Since most of our colleagues work on multiple project it’s really essential to have an overview with multiple projects in order to make an effective planning.

5 Likes

I agree. I upgraded to Business because I thought this was a feature of Portfolio timeline. It seems like an easy fix as we really just need these projects to be able expand out (show tasks) in “timeline” view. Creating a “multi-home” home page would be way too time-consuming.

3 Likes

We are a small org that uses portfolios for resourcing, but we’d like to see multiple projects on a single timeline view in a portfolio. When I do this, I only see milestones rather than tasks. I’ve seen elsewhere in the forum that tasks are not supported in timeline view in a portfolio, which is a bummer. But I see nothing but milestones. Am I supposed to see a high-level “start and end” bar, as per this screenshot from the support forums? I’d love to have some sort of bar-type indicator for overall project timelines, not just the milestones within it.

2 Likes

Hello @anon20154534,

yes correct in portfolio timeline view you can see the project range.

If you would like to see all tasks that works in the project timeline view: https://asana.com/guide/help/premium/portfolios#gl-portfolio-timeline

Here is great explanation by Emily

You might also upvote this thread: Show tasks and milestones per project in Portfolio Timeline

I too just upgraded to Business for the feature to see all my tasks across multiple projects in a portfolio. My guess is that is everyone’s expectation. It appears that workload does essentially what we are asking for as far as I can tell. However, I’m pretty sure that we are not clear why a timeline would look different in a portfolio view than it would look in a project view with the exception that it would only show our tasks. Another solution would be why not add timeline view to the My Tasks under the home button. You have the calendar view there. Why not the timeline view there? Easy fix it would seem unless I am missing something. Thanks!

adding my vote for this feature. Two projects running concurrently/overlapping and taking from the same resource pool - essential to be able to see tasks and timelines for both in one portfolio overview

Hi @Vanita_Sood You could use the workload feature if you wanted to see what tasks are assigned to who in the portfolio

Kind of surprising this capability does not exist. Not having this might be a deal breaker for us to use Asana.

1 Like

Somewhat related, I see that I can sync a calendar to outlook on projects, but I was hoping to sync to a portfolio and thereby capture all projects to my outlook calendar. Seems you have to sync projects individually which is a tedious endeavor.

Another one who is disappointed there isn’t an option to see all tasks due in a certain time period in a portfolio. I want to look at my team’s tasks across the week without having to click into different projects - very inefficient.

Fully agree, creating a master project is feasible, somewhat time consuming, and adding rules (to ensure tasks are automatically multihomed, which are a bit circular) make asana slow. Adding my vote to add this feature!

can an existing portfolio be converted into a “master project” and if so, how?