Please make a Premium Solo Plan

This would be great!

It boggles my mind that something as simple as single-user licenses hasn’t been added yet… How often are businesses faced with such a “shut up and take my money” situation?

So many requests for simple feature. So many people are willing to pay for solo premium. Today they start as solo premium user, next month they can upgrade to bigger team. Asana, please implement this.

Just starting to use Asana. I wanted to go for the 30 days trial and see that I have to pay for 5 users to use the premium version. YES a Premium Solo Plan is necessary to start. I will come back when it will be available.

Agreed. I am beginning to evaluate other solutions (which I am willing to PAY for) simply because of the inability to purchase a single user license for Premium.

This is unbelievable. I pay for Asana at work, and then I want to use Asana for personal use at home with custom fields…and I have to pay 34.50 euro per month - which is way too much.

Let people pay per seat below 5 users. You would have so many more people on premium.

Adding my vote in.

This situation is a bit ridiculous isn’t it?

The official reply from Astana is nothing but PR mumbo-jumbo - it’s not transparent at all. The motivation behind this strategy remains baffling. Like others have said, this must be some dark Silicon Valley obscure “growth hacking” stuff.

Is $35 the minimum at which they think they can make money for some reason? But why? Or maybe there’s a healthy dose of single-users at $35 / mo and they don’t want to cannibalize that revenue? Seeing this thread and applying common sense this seems highly unlikely - no one in their right mind except maybe extremely successful independent workers would pay that kind of money for an app.

Just give me the app at $9.99 / mo, with limited support if necessary - I couldn’t care less if it took a week or two to solve a support ticket, in fact in all likelihood I will never even post one.

I just want the premium features, damn it!

Many well-written replies already. So I only have a sobbing emoji left to add :sob:

Adding another vote, and another voice.

I’ve been a long-time user of Toodledo for personal and (individual) professional task tracking. I pay $30/year for that. For various reasons I’m looking at alternatives, and Asana seemed ideal - but only with premium features. The apparent headline price of £4.99/month seemed reasonable (albeit quite a bit more than I pay at the moment), but when I realised that in reality it’s 5 times that? No way. I’m not interested in the free tier, as I want to use Timelines, so for me this makes Asana a non-starter and I won’t be switching.

One client that I work with uses Asana, so in order to communicate with them, I have to use Asana. For the most part I really dig it (with the exceptions of the awful repeat task options.)

I considered using Asana for my business and personal projects until I saw this ridiculous price plan. I’m a one-man team and the fact there isn’t a premium solo option seems like an argonaut, indifference on the part of Asana’s leaders. Because of that, I purposefully use and pay for other apps out of pure spite.

+1 for plan for solo entrepreneurs!

I’ve been waiting for the same plan as well for a long time.

Thanks for the Clickup suggestion. Will check it out.

I humbly disagree and suggest an alternative interpretation for those who are upset at the lack of a paid solo plan: it’s a simple business decision by Asana to focus on having their product be a collaborative tool for teams. As a business, they have a right to choose a focus area, and I think it’s been communicated pretty clearly that’s what theirs currently is. You can be unhappy about that but I don’t think it’s fair to begrudge them the right to make a business decision on a focus area.

Or, if you want to be a little less generous in your interpretation, you can say it’s not so much of a “business focus” as “that’s where the money is” - that is, they’ve done the math and have decided that for financial reasons, they want to focus on teams as their customer base. As I say, it’s just a little less forgiving of an interpretation - but my assertion still holds that they have every right as a business to make that decision and it’s not fair to hold that against them.

P.S. To be clear, I am a solo entrepreneur and I also wish there was a paid single-user plan! But I accept their business decision and I’ve made the choice to live with it.

@Phil_Seeman Having been a CPA/CFO for 33 years I think that Asana has a fixed cost/variable cost analysis to their pricing scenario and they indeed can set there policies. I do consulting services across a number of different areas and also choose to pay for the 5 license package. Having said that I take exception to the concept that some of the users requesting a lower priced single package are not using Asana as a collaborative tool for teams. Teams do not have to be strictly within the walls of a single organization. It may be that there are a number of single seat users that are collaborating with any number of other Asana users; clients, volunteer organizations etc that they are part of an outside team, one off project management etc. I am fully aware that if they are a member or an organization that has a different domain than their Asana registration that they do not take up a seat in that organization. They may even serve to be a promoter of Asana and desire the premium features to spread the usefulness of the software. I do appreciate that Asana addressed this at one time with a small business discount and I think Asana is very generous allowing unlimited guests to an organization without taking up a premium seat in the organization. The beauty about this forum is that people are free to express their desires and allow Asana to assess accordingly. I would reiterate that I don’t think a single seat solution can be current cost divided by 5 because of the fixed cost of an account. But maybe there are other solutions that could be considered such as 1) A term limited single user ie, 1 year etc so users can really appreciate the power of premium over free and then be able to spread the word, indirectly recover their costs through establishing there clients on Asana and absorbing the cost through billings etc. If you never ask, than you have no chance of getting. In my mind I think the issue will be even more compounded for consultants that are overseeing other Asana organizations with the introduction of the “Business” pricing level. The mention of Toodledo brought back my use of over 10 years ago. They have a nice little niche product but it is not in the same league as Asana. Just my thoughts.

Hi James,

Absolutely! I hope my comments didn’t come across as implying that I thought the request to have a single-seat paid plan shouldn’t be raised or discussed in the forum. I agree 100% that this is the place to have the discussion.

A valid point for sure. I could be wrong but personally I would guess, though, that the percentage of users who fall into this category is small compared to the percentage who want to pay to use Asana as a personal project manager, and thus I still think that’s driving their decision not to offer a solo paid plan.

@Phil_Seeman If you are correct that most want as a personal project manager, I think the free edition would certainly be a great piece of software especially because if they are member of a paid organization I believe they see the premium features of that organization. I have a suspicion though that there are 1 person consultants that also are driving this also. What did you think of a discount 1 member premium for a limited time period. Maybe be 50% of 5 member for one year, no exceptions for any more than one member. Beginning the second year if Asana has not done something better they would have to decide free or premium. It really is only Asana’s decision but just thinking out loud how it may be a win-win. More promoters for Asana trying Premium and an opportunity for small shops to use the premium and justify the $375 or whatever the small team discount is. Thanks again for all of your contributions to the Community.

@James_Carl Personally I don’t think a one-year discounted price on Premium would make many solo users happy. I suppose you could argue that compared to the current situation, well hey, it’s at least a year of paying less than regular Premium price, but I think at the end of that year, many people would ultimately be frustrated that their price was going up substantially (100% in your example).

The previous statement from Asana does offer an answer. It is PR worded, but basically, the answer is NO. They are NOT considering a solo plan right now, but they reserve the right to change that decision in the future as they accumulate feedback and look at there business goals. This business decision is based via “focusing on teams”, so solo accounts are out of the question right now as is appeasing very small teams of 2-4 (You need to grow your team if you want premium features). So as a business they will never admit that users wanting solo premium plans are out of luck, but that is what I got from that response. Several years down the road, possibly, but no plans are in the pipeline right now.

Hello everyone!

I, too, have sent in a request to the support team for the ability to upgrade with a single user license.

As a part-time consultant, I’ve been using Asana as a free user for about 2.5 years. While I can understand the management’s focus on team collaboration (and completely support it), I do wonder what the limiting factors are to allowing a single user license.

For instance, if customer support is a concern (as it is for most SaaS companies), perhaps having a single user fee for 1-4 users with access to a FAQ and then unlocking account support is a viable option.

If the concern is the cost of payment processing or collections on defaulted payments, adding those additional fees into the per user license might be a solution.

As a small business owner consulting in the online entrepreneurship space, I can attest to the fact that even teams with 7-figure annual revenue sometimes have less than 5 people. Asana is a great tool both for remote and in-house teams, but it is also an excellent planning and task management tool for solopreneurs.

For the millions of business owners like me who do not have a team (and choose not to for whatever reason), a single user license would be very beneficial to access the premium features that would better help us plan and manage our schedules.

+1. Take my money please.