Overview of all teams and its projects (including private)

We have a several teams and projects per team. Now we’d like to gain an overview like

Team1 | Proj11
Team1 | Proj12
Team1 | Proj13
Team2 | Proj21
Team2 | Proj22

Is there any way on how to accomplish such an overview?

I don’t think that is possible with Asana, but that is a good idea for a small external tool :stuck_out_tongue: Would that interest anyone?

6 Likes

That would be great! Need better overview views in Asana.

I’m sure you could work your magic and make it as valuable as your other tools iDO Tools - Improve Asana with our tools and automations and iDO Tools - Improve Asana with our tools and automations. Especially by presenting info that isn’t readily apparent in Asana from a top level view.
Team info: privacy level, members that are set to approve membership, number of non-archived Projects, a full list of all Projects vs 5, a full list of Team members
Project info: Project owner, Projects with guests, a full list of Project members
Sorting and Filtering: project owner, privacy level

3 Likes

A first version is available! I called it Asana Overview.

@Vince_Mustachio I did not implement your requests yet.

Team info:

• privacy level → not available
  • members that are set to approve membership → not available
  • number of non-archived Projects → done
  • a full list of all Projects vs 5 → what do you mean by “vs 5”?
  • a full list of Team members → done

Project info: Project owner, Projects with guests, a full list of Project members → will do

Sorting and Filtering:

• project owner → will do
  • privacy level → not available
3 Likes

@Bastien_Siebman, you are making a strong case for iDO Tools - Improve Asana with our tools and automations to be a necessary tool for anyone that uses Asana.

non-archived Projects
For me, the Project lists and counts in your tool are including archived and non-archived Projects. Both are valuable, but I assume must people, must of the time will only want to see the non-archived Projects and the archived Projects occasionally.

“vs 5”
I was highlighting that the Asana UI only lists 5 Projects per Team by default in the sidebar. And that your tool could provide a full list of Teams and Projects, which it does and is going to add value for Asana users that they aren’t getting from Asana.

2 Likes

Newest feature :tada::

• new design
  • show archive status
  • show members
  • show collaborators
  • show owner
  • show custom fields

Next on the list:

• add filters & sorters
  • fix for Safari and Firefox
  • add a “what can see X” to check a user vision
3 Likes

You can know decide to hide or show archived projects!

Amazing.

(One question. What’s a collaborator in the context of a Project?)

I am actually not sure. Here’s what the doc says…

Collaborators of a project are a subset of the members of that project. Collaborators of a project will receive all updates including tasks created, added and removed from that project. Members of the project have access to and will receive status updates of the project. Adding collaborators to a project will add them as members if they are not already, removing collaborators from a project will not affect membership.

Does that ring a bell?

I found this in the Project API doc for the field:

Array of users following this project. Collaborators are a subset of members who receive all notifications for a project, the default notification setting when adding members to a project in-product.

I think this is found in [Project] > Share > Manage Member Notifications

Larry

Wow that’s using a lot of words to provide a lack of clarity. But it points in the right direction.

A little quick testing and a Project collaborator is a Project member that has the Member Notification Setting of Tasks Added enabled. The other 2 settings (Status Updates and Conversations) don’t have an effect.

It’s probably more valuable to list the Project members that aren’t collaborators than are collaborators. (It’s always a subset.)
And clearly it would be valuable to user a different term than collaborator if you choice to keep presenting the information.
If you use both my suggestions, you could change collaborators to Project members that aren’t notified of new Tasks. Wordy, but I can’t think of a good way to condense it and get across the same meaning.

1 Like

Good points, @Vince_Mustachio. I think a good presentation would be to list each avatar once only.

An option would be to caption this section “Members:” and place each avatar into one of two subgroups captioned something like “Notified for new tasks:” and “Not notified:”.

Larry

I added a section “members notified of new tasks” and “members not notified of new tasks” that you can hide :+1:

I updated the page with a toggle “show technical info” to show ids of teams and projects. Might be useful when doing technical work with a client.

I also added a counter for the number of teams and projects below the page title. :+1:

1 Like

I have just updated the tool to show each project default view :eyeglasses:

Hi, I am using Teams as a higher-level “Grouping” or container of projects. It would be very useful if I could see a breakdown of all tasks within a Team, not just each project.

Ideally I’d like to be able to click on the Team and see simply a list of all tasks, just like you can do with Conversations or Projects. Also, it would be great of this was available in Advanced Search, as I could very easily see a need for a report I’d like to save out of Advanced Search that would contain tasks from a couple teams. Right now to accomplish this I have to select all projects in those teams. And that won’t stay updated if I add new projects that aren’t in the report, but it would stay updated if I could indicate to have the report pull from the Team level.

Thanks!

I think you’re not aware that it is available here so you actually already can create the search reports you mention:

Larry

Hey Bastien, I just made a request that got merged over here, eager to check out this aspect of your tool, which I am still going to dig into more soon! Glad to hear this is something waiting for me to see once I get to it!

Hey @lpb, OK great thank you I hadn’t looked all the way that deep into those select fields…

As a potential point of UI improvement, given the relevance of Teams in the Asana Hierarchy, I might suggest that viewing all tasks in a Team is offered much more visibly. I would imagine many other new users like myself might be looking for it. It’s a staple of other apps that probably a lot of new users are coming from…

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hey, just ran that view and indeed, just what I was looking for!

Do you know if I can sort though by Ascending/Descending? Couldn’t seem to find that easily…

And would love to be able to customize the width of those columns, but I’m guessing that’s coming soon!

Thanks again!