Option To Archive Teams

+1 vote for archiving teams feature! I’m surprised and disappointed to learn you can’t - definitely not ideal

I work for an agency and we also have this issue. We use teams as Client “projects” and all projects related to those clients under the team heading. I thought I would share my work around with you.

• Adopt a clear naming convention for teams and projects Example: Team Name = Sample Client Every project under that client team is named Sample Client - [Service Area] or SC - [Service Area]

• Create an email asana@… and add to your Asana members

• When you are ready to archive a client

1. add the Asana@ member to the team
  2. make sure the team membership is open to organization (so someone else can join later and bring it up)
  3. archive each project
  4. Rename the Team X - Sample Client
  5. remove everyone but asana@ from the team

This will make it so the team (and it’s now hidden projects) are not still showing on everyone’s left hand column, in effect you have “archived” the team and all associated projects" but they can still be searched at the very bottom of the left hand column and everything can be unarchived or accessed when needed

1 Like

Adding my +1 to this. I’m not sure how this isn’t a feature? The majority of our teams are no longer relevant, but we still need to maintain all of the archived projects for historical purposes. Can’t we have a feature to simply hide a team and make it inactive?

2 Likes

it’s astonishing that this issue has existed for 3+ years and the only solutions provided are from dedicated CUSTOMERS of Asana who created workarounds for a feature that should have existed all along.

If there’s disagreement from the Product Team within Asana that this feature shouldnt exist, then the community needs to be educated on what that principle is, and what the right “asana way” should be.

4 Likes

The flaw with the workaround suggested throughout this thread - we came up with the same solution, but membership for all private projects within the teams were lost completely - adding members back into the team did not grant them access to their private projects again (even the project creators/owners).
They can be recovered by support, assuming you have a task link, project link, the exact name of the project, etc, however assisting users in finding it is problematic. Relying on users to move their private projects out of the team before this workaround is also unreliable at best. Unfortunately Admins cannot see private projects, so the absence of private projects can’t be confirmed.
If we’ve missed something, we’d love to hear about it.

1 Like

Voted up top and just want to leave another comment. Archiving Teams would be excellent for tracking historical data, without losing any, and without doing any of the “hacks” suggested in the thread.

2 Likes

echoing all of the above. This really needs to be prioritized at this point. The workaround is far from ideal.

1 Like

Just came here to say we also need this.
Entropy is real in an organisation and we need to be able to archive without deleting the history.

1 Like

Just adding my support here for the ability to archive teams. We are also an agency and “teams” are “clients.” We have a combination of retainer-based as well as project-based clients. We don’t want to delete any information - we wrap up projects and we may not have another project with the same client for several months, so the ability to archive would make everything so much cleaner.

Is there an update on this feature request? I see it goes back months…

Thanks,
Gina

2 Likes

@anon61735603 Actually goes back for YEARS! Will probably never happen.

3 Likes

Really really, please really could you set this up for us, dear Asana team? :slight_smile:

If there’s a huge technical reason you can’t implement this, here’s an alternative UX concept:

Let us create folders of teams, then we can all make folders “Archive 2021,” “Archive Client X,” and so on and keep our sidebars clean and nvigable.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Adding my vote for this feature, though since it’s been 3 years, I’m not sure what good it will do.

2 Likes

Upvoted. Incredible that this is not a feature yet. Asana must come with a proper solution asap.

2 Likes

Any update on this?

2 Likes

I’d love to hear an update from Asana and where this seemingly basic feature fits on a product roadmap!

1 Like

July 5th, 2021- Any updates on this?

1 Like

Hi @Bianca_Ericsson, I’m afraid I don’t have updates on this topic, but we’ll continue to advocate for this request internally and will send an update in this post as soon as we have any information!

2 Likes

We have this exact same need - we are an agency and create a team for each client. When a client is no longer under contract, we simply want to archive them so the sidebar only shows current clients. I see that this need has been requested for a few years now, by quite a few people. What will it take for Asana to realize this is an important need for so many?

3 Likes

Hi Ellen,
We are in the exact same boat. I have tried to get an answer from Asana to no avail. This seems like such basic functionality for a PM tool.

Your note inspired me to send our rep at Asana another message :wink:

Regards,
Gina

1 Like

Hi, Gina –

We’re all in this together. :slight_smile: Thanks for your confirmation that this is a need, and so surprising that Asana has yet to address it. We switched to Asana in September, and I’m pleased with most of its offerings, but there are several things that are frustrating, and I know impact others - when duplicating jobs, there is no option to carry the comments over and all assigner data disappears making Tasks I’ve Assigned to Others unusable. Sigh. The many other benefits out way these issues, and thank goodness we’ve found satisfactory workarounds, but these seem like common sense for a PM tool.

Anyway, it’s nice to encounter a comrade in arms.

Best,
Ellen

1 Like