Offer (for Premium and above) a new rule "Start/Due date is approaching . . ." to trigger based on the earlier of Start date or Due date

I just onboarded two new team members a few days ago and they where like “What the ****?
You can not do that? How shall I work with tasks longer than a day then?”
Any updates from the developers side on that feature request?

The lack of the ability to move a task to a section of “My Tasks” based on the “start date” is driving me insane and breaking my workflow. I’ve dealt with this problem for months and didn’t bother saying anything, but It’s good to see that other people are bringing this to the attention of the development team. This needs to be a core feature for “premium users” since we are paying top dollar to have our organizations run on Asana.

1 Like

Right now we can only make Rules that trigger on “Due Date” or “Due date is approaching” - but this limits us to the due date only and gives no usage of triggering rules on the task’s “Start date” - which would be extremely helpful.

When there is a task that is set to take multiple days to complete, it has a start date that is different from the due date. So, having a trigger that happens based on “Start Date” would seem only natural.

For example, this way I could create a new automated section in my project for “Start today” as apposed to only one that is “Due today” or “Due tomorrow” etc.

This would be extremely helpful for organizing tasks and keeping track of when they need to be started, as opposed to only when one is due.

I think this would be a very natural thing to have that would significantly improve Asana’s usefulness. Thanks.

1 Like

Welcome, @Matt_H,

Would you say this product feedback post I did a while ago covers your request too? If so, please vote for that one (you’ll be the 100th vote!), and we can merge yours in.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Yeah I think that covers it, hadn’t seen that. Voted! Thanks

1 Like

@Forum-team, Could you merge as mentioned above? Thanks!!

Larry

2 Likes

@Rebecca_McGrath beat me to it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This would be great.

I would like to comment here as well that this feature would be extremely useful for the organization that I am a part of. We would like to be able to trigger rules that modify the “start date” rather than the “due date”.

Can this please be added soon? We all used to have this functionality before it was removed as part of the rules. Things should be consistent to what we signed up for. We shouldn’t be in a situation where functionality is removed…

+1 too. To me (and as indicated by many other comments), this is sensible, not atypical, functionality to have.

I love this idea.
For people that are pro-active and wanted to get ahead on some work, it is a brilliant idea !

2 Likes

I would love to see this implemented sooner rather than later! We have a business account and it would be super helpful. As a project manager, I want to be notified when a project start date is coming up so then I can schedule a brainstorm session!

2 Likes

Anyone know if there’s any update on this or if it’s a change Asana is planning to make or not?

@Kate17, Asana usually only updates threads when they have new info to release. They also don’t generally give info about future plans. I hope they’ll consider this as it’s been steadily getting votes and comments and remains a hardship.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Adding my voice to the call here. This is one of my top-needed features (it makes the top 5 list). The workarounds I currently have for this involves subtasks that are “due” at the beginning of the task window and that’s not a pleasant solution. Please make adding this feature a priority!

1 Like

+1 to this

Without this functionality, it is completely useless, and even dangerous, to have a task that stretches over more than one day. So many complicated workarounds for something that should be quite simple.
Upvoted.

Hi!
I’ve been using Asana for years. I recently bought the Pro plan and use Start Dates all the time. However, despite using them, I keep scrambling to get some things done as tasks don’t appear at the top of the My Tasks section until their due date. This causes due dates to be missed.

This is a MAJOR problem.

I’ve noticed this same request has been active since at least 2017. Which is unbelievable.

Asana, please get this sorted ASAP.

I would greatly appreciate an interim solution or any tips or tricks that can help me sort my tasks by start date on either Android, web or the desktop app. (I use all three.)

Thanks,
Dora

Hi @DoraD,

First, please vote for this feature request here:

(@Forum-team, would you want to consolidate this thread with the above?)

For a workaround, see the following (disclaimer: I’m the creator) which lets you sort selected tasks by Start date but does involve an extra step to see them:

Larry

1 Like