Offer (for Premium and above) a new rule "Start/Due date is approaching . . ." to trigger based on the earlier of Start date or Due date

Wow - this is really a big miss!! We also have a lot of tasks that span multiple weeks

2 Likes

Just came here to request this feature and found this existing thread! Upvoted!!

3 Likes

This is one of a few things I’ve been upset with after the changes to the My Tasks page. The original Today, Upcoming, Later divisions did this automatically. I feel like we’ve lost so many functions of this approach with the new customizable rules, Start Date triggers being one of them.

1 Like

It boggles my mind that Rules trigger on the End Date when there’s a range.
I have a need to move tasks out of view until they are scheduled to start.
I’ve been in contact with Customer Support and they say it’s functioning as designed because rules are triggered by Due Dates.

To me, it seems ludicrous :frowning:

Hey @Jeff_Bantz

you might want to vote for this existing thread as well :slight_smile: My Tasks Changes: Rules: Date Range For Rule

And this might be the solution you are looking for? New triggers for Rules: “Due date is approaching” and “Task is Overdue” (only available for Business and Enterprise though, not sure what plan you are on)

1 Like

Ability to be able to select the Start Date for a task with a date range instead of just the End Date. That allows me to push it out of view until I want to start working on it.

3 Likes

Thanks - I upvoted it and added a comment.
The problem I’m having is best described as this.
Task A is going to take 5 days to work on…and I’ve got it set up to start working on it 5 days before the due date. I don’t need to see it until it’s time to start working on it.

So, if my start date is 9/6/2021 and my end date (due date) is 9/10/2021 I want it to pop into my “Today” view using my existing rule on 9/6 instead of 9/10.

3 Likes

Yeah makes complete sense!

Jeff, I suspect 99+% of Asana users agree with you. It’s just the Asana architects who seemingly don’t.

1 Like

Hi @Jeff_Bantz,

You might want to check out our Flowsana integration, which does allow you to create a date-based rule trigger based on start date.

@Jeff_Bantz and @Andrea_Mayer,

Isn’t it this post that you want to vote on that matches this thread’s need?:

Thanks,

Larry

3 Likes

Hey @lpb,

yes perfect seems like exactly what @Jeff_Bantz is looking for.

1 Like

EXACTY!!
Updated and hopefully they’ll see the rationale!

2 Likes

This is completely ridiculous. Tasks used to move into the ‘Today’ category automatically based on their start dates, not their due dates. When you change a basic function like this you complete throw off the reliability that was once built into this product. Furthermore, when you don’t allow users to make a ‘rule’ to compensate for this, you’ve ‘disabled’ the product - why?

1 Like

Start date trigger is crucial to provide visibility to tasks well before the actual due date, especially for tasks that take longer than one day to accomplish

2 Likes

Would be really nice to allow a rule that triggers on a task START date.

Reason:
Many tasks have a date range. For those tasks it would be almost late to focus on that task once it hits due today or upcoming as upcoming is based on end and not start.

This way folks can see when they should start working on a task.

6 Likes

Hi @Getz_Pro, thanks for providing this feedback.

We do have an existing product request for this feature in the forum already so i’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidat feedback - I hope you don’t mind!

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree being able to create a rule-based off of start date is a huge help. It’s a big area of confusion that my due date is my floating start date and I cannot really track a due date.

2 Likes

I agree, we love using start dates to help plan out our tasks, but not having this rule makes it much harder to manage all our tasks.

2 Likes

How do we give users an alert when the start date of a task has arrived? Can that force priority view in their mytasks list?

I have searched the forum, but can’t find anything helpful on this, it seems others have struggled with start dates especially as you don’t seem to be able to setup rules based off them either… :frowning: How do you use start dates effectively?