Offer (for Premium and above) a new rule "Start/Due date is approaching . . ." to trigger based on the earlier of Start date or Due date

Just came here to request this feature and found this existing thread! Upvoted!!

2 Likes

This is one of a few things I’ve been upset with after the changes to the My Tasks page. The original Today, Upcoming, Later divisions did this automatically. I feel like we’ve lost so many functions of this approach with the new customizable rules, Start Date triggers being one of them.

1 Like

Start date trigger is crucial to provide visibility to tasks well before the actual due date, especially for tasks that take longer than one day to accomplish

2 Likes

Would be really nice to allow a rule that triggers on a task START date.

Reason:
Many tasks have a date range. For those tasks it would be almost late to focus on that task once it hits due today or upcoming as upcoming is based on end and not start.

This way folks can see when they should start working on a task.

3 Likes

Hi @Getz_Pro, thanks for providing this feedback.

We do have an existing product request for this feature in the forum already so i’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidat feedback - I hope you don’t mind!

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree being able to create a rule-based off of start date is a huge help. It’s a big area of confusion that my due date is my floating start date and I cannot really track a due date.

2 Likes

I agree, we love using start dates to help plan out our tasks, but not having this rule makes it much harder to manage all our tasks.

2 Likes

How do we give users an alert when the start date of a task has arrived? Can that force priority view in their mytasks list?

I have searched the forum, but can’t find anything helpful on this, it seems others have struggled with start dates especially as you don’t seem to be able to setup rules based off them either… :frowning: How do you use start dates effectively?

Hi @Byron_Arnold

Asana will notify assignees of tasks due that day in their Inbox. Also, if in their My Tasks they have rules in place to move tasks to a Do Today column, it will.

You can set rules to trigger on due date to comment in the task.

Other than that, you may want to set up dependencies whereby the assignee will be notified once their task is no longer blocked, regardless of due date. (They will also receive notices if someone changes the due date of the task blocking theirs)

Hope this helps

Hi Getz, thanks for the comment but I think you misunderstood. Due dates is fine, and we’ve got that working.

But it is START dates that we are having issue with. I can’t setup rules or have notifications automatically pushed out based on a task start date. Often these are tasks with no blockers, it is just a piece of work that needs to be Started 10 days before the due date.

At this stage the only mechanism I can think of
Create two tasks
1 - start work on X
2 - Do X (with this task being dependant on task 1).

But it feels like there should be a more elegant way to implement this.

This change totally fucked up my workflow as the my tasks session is not reliable for my planning anymore. Really needs some fixing asap… And I can’t imagine this being much of a hassle to fix as the “my tasks” sections worked like that in the past…

2 Likes

I was brought here from this thread , but a huge upvote! Our company also is currently on the Enterprise account, so am glad to see we would be able to explore this feature soon!

1 Like

Any news on this topic? This past week I realized that the lack of this rule in “My Tasks” really leads to working reactive and not proactive. Imagine a My task where the task gets your attention on the start date and does not knock you over on the due date.

6 Likes

Just adding a +1, this is an issue for our whole team as well since My Tasks stopped doing this automatically. Thanks!

1 Like

@VeronicaPastore I started to use Flowsana where I can add “My tasks” as a project and only apply rules there. One of them is the start date trigger and many others. Hope it helps.

3 Likes

Thanks, @Paul_Grobler! Creative solution, I’ll look into Flowsana!

1 Like

This is really annoying. In order not to lose tasks, i’ve now created a repeating task to weekly check all my task having a due date within the next 14 days. And then I go manually through that list. Such a pain. I don’t understand why this feature doesn’t exist and I wonder how this could be so difficult to implement.

1 Like

It would be wonderful if we could also sort our project by “start date” (taking into account that the start date would be the due date if the project did not have a different start date set)
I only see an option to sort by due date currently

1 Like

+1 to this!

Absolutely need this to have a reasonable workflow for our items moving from “pending” or “scheduled” into our Running category. Crazy this isn’t available yet!!

2 Likes