No warning when I'm closing approval task blocked by another task

I have project where approval depends on another task. When I try to close approval task (aprove/reject/demand changes) on the list view, there is no warning that it is blocked by another not completed yet task. Is it a bug?

This warning is shown when I try to do this operation on approval task from Gantt view.
This warning is shown when I try to complete standard task blocked by another task independendly on the view I’m using.

1 Like

Hi @AnnaPapiernik :raised_hand:

Yes, I have the feeling that might be a bug, as I couldn’t reproduce it myself (I’m alerted when I’m trying to Approve/Reject an approval task blocked by another task).

Could you please specify your Bug with :

• Browser version
  • Upload screenshots

@AnnaPapiernik could you please share screenshots illustrating the issue? Thank you!

@Marie @Arthur_BEGOU I did additional testing and the results are recorded. Video attached without voice.
Please note that when I do approval operation on opened approval task, I see the warning message.
When I do the same by clicking the icon on the left site of the approval task name it is just approved, without any warning message.
I observe this issue on both Chrome 111.0.5563.111 and Firefox 111.0.1.

approval_issue

Yes, I can confirm I can reproduce the same issue.
When blocked by a dependency, approval tasks will show an alert message only if completed on in the task details panel (top right), not via the shortcut :white_check_mark: (left side).

@Marie It seems it is some type of bug / unexpected behavior.
Probably because of design, approval tasks are not showing the little sand timer symbol :hourglass_flowing_sand:, then they can be completed directly.

@Bastien_Siebman Interesting case

Seems like a bug to me indeed. :+1:

Hi everyone, thanks for flagging this! I’ve been able to replicate this on my end as well, so I’ve escalated the case to our Developers. I’ll keep you all posted!

2 Likes

Hi @Vanessa_N Has there been any update on this? As my team utilizes approvals more, we’d benefit greatly from a fix for this issue.

Hi @Lauren_Reich, sorry for the delay. Unfortunately we don’t have an ETA yet, but you can rest assured that our Developers are working on a fix! As soon as I have any updates I’ll let you know.

Any new update on this? Our agency is beginning to use approvals more and more. Many (most?) of our approvals are sequential, not parallel, and it needs to be enforced.

I would also like to add another way that the approval task can be approved out of turn.

If the approvals are subtasks, you can approve out of turn from the subtask list on the main task:

If you open up the approval subtask, you cannot approve it.

Let me know if this should be reported as a different bug!

Thanks much…janice

I am not sure what you want to report as a bug: you marked a task blocked by another one, so you are warned if you want to complete it first. That’s expected behaviour…

Ohhh…Sorry if I was not clear. In the first screenshot, I show the subtasks list of the main task. If you click on the approval icon (in red box), you can approve the approval subtasks in any order, bypassing the dependency checking.

The second screenshot shows the dependencies being honored when the approval subtask is opened.

Thanks much! janice

Oh ok so you don’t always see the warning completion window depending on where you click to approve the task?

Yes. That is correct.

Hi @AuntJan, thanks for flagging that. It seems to be the same issue as in the main task view. I’ve added a note to the escalation informing the Developers that this happens in the subtask list too. They don’t have any ETA yet, but we will keep you posted!

Thank you!

1 Like