New quick add breaks shortcuts

I like the new window that pops up in the lower right when doing ‘tab+Q’ for a new task, but the shortcuts for project (tab+P) and due date (tab+D) don’t work anymore! I’m all about shortcuts and this just seems like this was an oversight? More mouse clicks is not what myself and I’m positive other people want when just trying to quickly add a task from calendar view.

Totally agree, and I haven’t found a way around it. I used to be able to fire off a set of tasks and schedule them for days in the upcoming week very quickly, without having to leave the keyboard or even look at the screen (visual search drives me nuts, even in familiar UI!). Now… Tab+Q… move hand… move mouse… click… click… click…

This is gonna sound petty, but this change really, really frustrates me. Glad to know I’m not alone. Hopefully there’s a fix coming in the near future!

2 Likes

I’ll third this issue. The box in the bottom right seems to be permanent now (it was off and on for me for a while) and it looks nice but is less convenient. As mentioned, the keyboard used to be available for everything (in particular, pressing Enter to create the task), and now it’s all clicks. Much less convenient; huge loss for me as I use the Tab+Q quick add all the time.

(Using Chrome) I’m using the “pop up” task when using the keyboard shortcut (Tab+Q), and when I try to set the due date using Tab+D from within the pop up, it tries to change the due date of the last task I had previously selected vs. the new task I’m creating. Any ideas if this is a bug that’s being fixed soon?

Hi @Allea_Grummert and thanks for the report! We’re still working on fixing issues related to shortcuts within the new "Quick Add a Task feature. I’ll merge your thread New quick add breaks shortcuts - #2 by Ben_Acland to avoid having to many duplicates!

Thank you, Marie!

1 Like

Your request is a shortcut to open “My tasks” and your comment is related to the forum behavior right? (moderator here :wave:)

Any word on a fix for this? I use the quick-add tasks (Tab+Q) many times per day, and the inability to use keyboard shortcuts in the new quick-add panel is extremely prohibitive. The biggest one for me is the simple inability to press “Enter” to create the task; I have to reach over, grab my mouse, and click “Create Task” for every new task I create in this way.

It just started working for out of the blue a couple of days ago!

Indeed it does. In addition, it seems that “Tab+Enter” will create the new task, which is great. Thanks to the team for making this happen.

Almost there… Tab+D opens the calendar, but setting the date still requires mouse work. The old UI had a text field that allowed you to type a day of the week then enter to schedule tasks for the current week. I still miss that a lot, but overall the UI is improving steadily. Thanks for the continued work on quick add.

2 Likes

Still waiting…

Hi @Ben_Acland and thanks for the follow-up. We have fixed most of the shortcut issues, but I’m aware that picking up a due date still require to use your mouse or trackpad. I will make sure to keep you posted here once I have some update!

1 Like

Hi - can I check what the latest status is on this update? Would really love to be able to use the date shortcut on keyboard without needing to touch my mouse. The last update on this I can see was 10 months ago.

Hi @Benuel_Ganesan,

I’ve just tested the shortcut mentioned in this thread (Tab+D and Tab+P), they do seem to work when creating a task with the quick-add (however when using Tab+D you still need your mouse to select from the date picker). Could you please double check if it works on your end too?

Hi Marie - yes it works but like you said, I still need to use my mouse after using tab D. I’d like to be able to go straight to typing in the date rather than have to switch to a mouse. The way it is now is inconsistent with the standard box where you can type in a date straightaway.

This might not be the solution to everyone’s issues, however I found a cool thing this morning. On my iPhone when I hold down the Asana icon it pulls up a quick add menu and one of them is Add a Task. This would be good on the go with a voice text to add to your Asana inbox. Later you can edit the details.