New! Introducing a membership system for My Tasks

@Jaime_Troudt, I’m not sure of the exact type of view you’re in that doesn’t have “None” but there are a few reasons to lose the drag handles including access rights (like Comment Only) and I think it may be that or the kind of view you’re in. Maybe @Emily_Roman can recognize the case?

Larry

1 Like

@Jaime_Troudt can you create a separate thread in #tipsandtricks and maybe share a larger screenshot to help us understand why this happening? (Feel free to block out in private info!)

2 Likes

Oof, this update threw a wrench into my organization’s workflow. Due to the high-stakes nature of our work (patent law firm), we need to be up in each other’s business so nothing falls through the cracks.

This new update requires that every Asana user in our firm manually share their task list with everyone else in the firm. Not a great use of time for our attorneys.

I believe this update also removed the “Advanced Search option to filter by Today/Upcoming/Later”. why?

anyone???

@Zaraida_Diaz ?

3 Likes

unacceptable, this messes up workflows!

2 Likes

Unacceptable to remove the Advanced Search option to filter by Today/Upcoming/Later

1 Like

I hate this feature. First it took me a while to find out why i cant manage team members tasks. Now I still can’t manage even after requesting access and them sharing

Hey @Jay1, sorry to hear you’re having this issue! Can you say more specifically what you’re not able to do after the other user sharing their My Tasks with you?

1 Like

Hi,
I still can’t reorder staff members tasks after even after requesting access and them sharing. Should I be getting some sort of notification as ive received anything either

Hi @Jay1,

That’s working as now designed, according to Asana (emphasis mine):

I guess the motivation for this change is as @Zaraida_Diaz mentioned above:

We want to make My Tasks feel like a personal space

1 Like

Hi @Leiby_Markowitz, this is expected. With this new update, we’re trying to make the concept of organization of a user’s tasks be private to them and their members, so we decided to remove these filters in search as well!

@Marie Please explain what removing this filter has to do with making My Tasks private?

My clients have used this Today/Upcoming/Later filter as a workaround for the deficiency of the current “Advanced Search Option” (not having the AND/OR)

Plus this breaks the trust (in Asana and me), if I will come up with a new workaround who is to say that Asana might not remove it next month??? At least make it as an optional setting…

3 Likes

Hi @Leiby_Markowitz,

The “Today/Upcoming/Later” sections aren’t necessarily related to due dates but they give visibility on how someone has organised their work in My Tasks. We’re looking to make My Tasks feel like a personal space; to this extent, we’re limiting visibility on how folks have organised their work.

With that said, we’re currently looking into how we can improve our search feature and Update Advanced Search - AND / OR Functionality is definitely something we will explore.

While we don’t have plans to make this an option at the moment, I’ve gone ahead and shared your feedback with our Product Team so it can be considered for future updates, and I’ll be sure to follow-up in the Forum as soon as I have an update on this topic!

What is the difference between this new feature and running an advanced report to show all of the tasks assigned to a user?

Hi @anon48419096, the difference is that with an Advanced Search, you won’t be able to see how the user has organised their tasks in My Tasks. For example, they may have decided to work on a task due tomorrow, today. In the Advanced search, this task will show as due tomorrow, while in the assignee My Tasks it will be located in the “Today” section (with a due date for tomorrow). The important thing to remember is that the prioritisation in My Tasks can be different from due dates, if you have some bandwidth, you may decide to work today on something that is due later!

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hey @anon48419096,

Also, on top of everything @Marie said, remember that in the new feature, you have the ability to make your own organization (sections, sorting) of another user’s My Tasks, which will show only for you, and which structure won’t show in Advanced Search.

I think this is a pretty cool feature because it lets you do your own organization/tracking of another user’s tasks in a way that you want to think of them, while still allowing the user to have ultimate dominion over how they organize their own work.

3 Likes

Is there a way for members to share their lists instead? So people won’t need to manually request that?

1 Like

Hi @Carmella_Operations and welcome to the forum!

Yep! There’s a “Share” button in the upper right portion of your My Tasks view that lets you do that.

1 Like

This is unacceptable Asana did it again broke a workflow we used in our company 25+ users for years, I have no simple fix for this, please put back the Advanced Search for Today/Upcoming/Later ASAP
if not “Clickup here I come” they have real advanced search and no sudden changes that break workflows

This topic was automatically closed after 46 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.