Need help with how to gather date for reports

The way our team uses Asana is that we have a whole team portfolio, within that are each team member’s main portfolio which is made up of their individual projects.

I have researched this to death and for the life of me cannot find a simple way to get the following data for our overall team:

• Projects added each month

• Projects in implementation

• Projects archived each month

• Avg # of Implementations per Team member

It shouldn’t be this hard to get very basic data from a project management tool.

1 Like

Hi @anon98513781

Thanks for reaching out. I have suggestions for your first three issues.

Step 1: Choose the portfolio
Step 2: Choose projects instead of tasks
Step 3: Choose your X and Y Axis domains
Step 4: Add filter “Within the last” whatever time you want.

• Projects in implementation

For this, I simply created a custom field in all my projects that have the options “Implementation” or “Ongoing.” You would then add that custom field to your portfolio.

Step 4 Use the filter “Only Show Archived Projects”
Step 5 (Optional): Add filter within a certain time period

Step 4 Use the filter “Custom field” and Select Implementation
Step 5 (Optional): Select the desired date range

I do not know about the average, but you can definitely get a sum for this one.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hi Mike,

I have tried these and the curious thing is Asana will not show all of our team members in the calculations, it excludes two people each time I try to calculate and I can’t figure out why.

The other thing I am unable to get is a count of simple tasks. For instance, one of our tasks is “set up client”. I should be able to get a count for the month of each time this task was completed, but I can’t find a way to do this in Asana. So far Asana has been really disappointing for getting metrics.

My workaround for that is simply creating a custom field so that you can report it. Asana does not have the capability to utilize “counting” fields at this time, but hopefully in the future!.

As to your other comment, how many team members are you trying to include?

1 Like

We have six. When I try to utilize reporting it only shows results for four, or it includes users who are not even on our team (when our team is selected instead of the whole organization). For example, I created two new projects last week. When I try to set up a report showing projects created in the last month I don’t even show up on the column chart, yet multiple people not on our team do.

Got it, are you able to share a screenshot without showing any personal or sensitive information so that I may better assist you?

Here is one example. I even checked my admin dashboard and these users are not assigned to our team in the admin dashboard.

That is very strange as I just created a chart with your exact metrics. Have you reached out to Asana Support for this? It seems like a bug.

Please find the link below for Asana Support:

If I think of anything in the mean time, I will reach out to let you know!

1 Like

Thanks for all the help here, @Mike_Tammaro!

@anon98513781, as Mike mentioned, I’d suggest reaching out to the Support team so they can look into this further for you. To speed things along, you can provide them with the URL link or name of the Team in question and they can assess the members.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.