Need ability to change Today/Upcoming/Later status within listing of searched tasks

Got it. I encourage your product management team to review this issue. As it stands, here is the behavior, which of course is consistent except for that one item.

Multiple selection actions on searched tasks

Works

• Set assignee

• Set due date

• Set project

• Set tag

• Delete

• Mark complete

• Set collaborators

Doesn’t Work

• Set to Today/Upcoming/Later
2 Likes

Another reason why the current behavior is NOT helpful is the problem of past due tasks not auto-applying themselves to Today. If something is in My Tasks set to Today and I know I can’t get to it today, I’ll mark it to Upcoming. Ideally tomorrow said task will re-appear marked Today in My Tasks. But, since it doesn’t (behavior which I also disagree with) I get a growing listing of past due items in the Upcoming section. And, those often get forgotten as there’s so many things in my Today list. So, I have a search set up to find all Incomplete items (I can’t just do a search ONLY for past due items which is yet another thing I have big problems with Asana). Okay, I found the incomplete items, now I want to batch select them and apply them all to Today. Nope, can’t do it. Doesn’t make sense. Here’s three useful things I cannot do in Asana. And, it affects me daily. I don’t know what other people’s workload is like when they use Asana, but, I manage lots of tasks and the inability to do the three things mentioned here affects my productivity in a big way.

4 Likes

A quick comment to signal-boost this thread. I think this bug/feature may have been introduced when the old “saved searches” were upgraded to “reports”.

In case it is helpful to explain my use case, I used to have a workflow in which I would tag some tasks as ‘next week’ or ‘next month’ if I wanted to review them next week or next month and decide whether to pull them into my upcoming task list. I would then pull up my ‘saved search’ (now reports), use Shift+Click to select all of the tasks to pull into upcoming, and then Tab+U to make them upcoming.

@Marie Am I correct in thinking that there is no way to reproduce the above workflow without going through each task one-by-one, going to focus view, and then marking them as Upcoming? Is there a workaround that you would recommend?

Hi @Niel_Bowerman and thanks for the mention! Let me check this with our Development Team, I’ll Keep you posted as soon as I have an update!

1 Like

@Marie a quick thought: if it’s technically challenging to implement the Tab+U shortcut in reports, perhaps you could add a ‘Mark as’–>‘Upcoming’ task menu option like you have in mobile?

(Thanks for adding that menu option in mobile by the way. I find it extremely helpful!)

1 Like

Hi @Marie, just looping back on this. Any updates here?