Navigation Updates and quick access to My Tasks and Inbox

Hi @Martin_Wildam! You should find this helpful: Navigation Updates and quick access to My Tasks and Inbox - #23 by Marie

Iv’e gone ahead and merged your post with this thread to avoid having to many duplicates!

Thanks - sorry, although I searched the forum before typing I could not find this.
Although the hotkeys are an option for me, for other casual Asana users they are not. Also those who are not daily users should have an easy play.

4 Likes

@Marie thanks for the early notice. The shortcuts work great, address the bulk of the concerns created by the change, add a good feature that would have been useful even without the design changes, and are even in the shortcut list now.

Thanks Asana for listening and helping.

And Tab + Z is likely to become the shortcut I use the most from now on. (Sorry Tab + B)

1 Like

^^ This!! ^^
The mouse has been a nightmare to Data-Entry operators’ workflow since Xerox invented it.

Shortcuts (smart ones, as in “sensible, logical and easy to remember”, not just random keys), please!

I totaly agree. In the menu I have about 10 favorites, 20 reports and more than 100 teams. And now My tasks, Inbox and Dashboard have to go also to the menu. That’s just to crowded! It means more scrolling.

What I am wondering: what was wrong with the place they were? My tasks, Inbox and Dashboard are very important and our team use them a lot! Probably 25 times a day or more! So the place in the main bar makes perfectly sense.

As @Sunny said, there are some UI changes now (like this one) which are counter productive and takes more space. It looks like Asana has a brand new development department that wants to ruin the perfect sensible User Interface of the past. I don’t understand why this is happening.

@Kevin_Neumann, you are referring to the UI changes made in the tasks field. Here you can find a topic about these changes.

1 Like

Another thing: were did de name of the workspace go? I can’t find it anymore…
It is pretty important to know in what workspace you are working!

Thanks, Marie. Somehow, I had not known about the TabZ shortcut. Very helpful.

1 Like

I’m new to Asana (big fan so far), but the Tab+Z and Tab+I keyboard shortcuts have already become indispensable. However, when I Tab+Z, I have no way to access my task list through the keyboard (requires a click on a task first). Am I missing something? The keyboard/mouse jumping is a super frustrating UX. I would assume that Tab+Z would open My Tasks and automatically put focus on the task list, so I could up/down arrow through them…

You’re completely right @ckelemen, as it stands, the “Ctrl+Z” shortcut will automatically open your “My Tasks”, but it doesn’t focus on the task list; sounds like a great opportunity to create a separate post in the #productfeedback category!

Not a fan of having the Inbox in the sidebar. I keep the sidebar closed because I have too much there and want to focus on my tasks. I used to be able to see a yellow dot indicating I had news in my feed to read. Can’t do that anymore… Yet Asana is telling us we are supposed to live in the “inbox”.

2 Likes

In case it’s of value, @Red_Bricks, I had the same concern as you but I had forgotten that Asana also includes a big dot in the browser tab when there’s been an addition to the Inbox. This browser tab dot shows/hides exactly as does the orange dot. So for me, that along with the Tab + Z and Tab + I shortcuts resolve the major issues for me of moving these links to the sidebar.

Larry Berger
Asana2Go & Asana Certified Pro consultant at Trilogi Software

1 Like

I’m actually using Fluid App to hid the browser tab but your point is interesting.

But I still don’t understand why Asana would remove easy access to the dot indicating new activity… Having the dot in the tab is not as easy as looking in the browser window itself— it’s too far away from the “action”.

Seems like a UI flaw rather than enhancement.

2 Likes

Ahhh…so you have no recourse given the Asana change and the Fluid App environment. I sympathize.

As to why Asana did this… Not to put words in Asana’s mouth (so to speak!) but I wonder if a change like this is influenced by the fairly recent movement trying to be more conscious about the effect on a user’s ability to focus of notifications, badges with counts, and the like. I appreciate that, but I think this is a good example of a case where it’s hard to imagine a solution working for everyone. Perhaps a default of the way it is now because that’s Asana’s intent, but addition of a setting for you to change it. This is exactly what I had in mind with my feature request: General request: Be more liberal in offering user settings where helpful, though I’m afraid that only has two votes as of now!

Thanks,

Larry

three votes now :slight_smile:

1 Like

This navigation change breaks the inbox. I recently discovered over a week of hidden notifications on the sidebar. This drastically interferes with my ability to use Asana for my job. PLEASE restore inbox notifications to the main screen ASAP.

While I think moving Asana’s two most important features – My Tasks and Inbox – to the sidebar was a mistake, I can deal with the minor inconvenience of one extra click to reach them. However not showing inbox notifications at all goes way beyond “inconvenient”– it is absolutely, flat out broken, and never should have passed QA. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Please stop hiding the most frequently used aspects of Asana.

For those of us who like the left-hand navigation closed, it’s a pain to have to open it to get to some of the most used links in all of Asana.

My Tasks, Inbox, and Dashboard should be easily accessible even when the left nav is closed.

Please consider putting them back in the Top Navigation.

2 Likes

Hi @Vaughan_Moore and thanks for sharing your feedback! We already have a thread on this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post within the main thread to consolidate feedback. I would suggest to add your vote to the main thread and to take a look at this specific post, it might be a good workaround for you! :slight_smile:

i totally agree here. I have more than 7 members of the team and need to be able to view all of them at once

I like the ability to collapse the sidebar in the web version of Asana. That being said, I feel Home, My Tasks and Inbox should all be dedicated links sitting in the top menu bar, regardless if the sidebar is collapsed or expanded. That’s one extra click each time you need to access Home, My Tasks or Inbox, which I have to believe are the most commonly accessed pages, with the individual project links being far less common. Please consider making Home, My Tasks and Inbox dedicated top links.

1 Like