My Tasks view - add a new category of Pending or Waiting on

The default categories are Today / Upcoming / Later & New Tasks. Why not be able to create a section for ourselves which is - Pending - or Waiting on. This is for the several items / decision from different projects.
So 2 ideas come to mind - not sure which one or even if both are feasible:

1. Have the ability to create our own category under My Task
  2. Have ASANA add a Pending Category to My Task - which I presume is the easiest options
    The feature where you can mark tasks waiting on another tasks - perhaps this category would bring all of those Waiting On tasks to the front view if they were assigned to me - this could even make the My Task view even more true to what needs to be done or action-ed.
8 Likes

I think many roads lead back to sorting. Add the ability to sort by tag or custom field and a primary and secondary sort. Also make sure every field is in the Advanced Search such as ā€œwaiting onā€

3 Likes

I address this problem by adding dedicated sections ā€œNot startedā€ and ā€œPendingā€ in the Upcoming category. I have to manually move the tasks around, but itā€™s not too much labor. Adding a new category ā€œPendingā€ or ā€œWaiting onā€ and automatically moving the task into or out of that section sounds a good idea, but I think Pending tasks might belong to different categories in New/Upcoming/Later a the same time and it might add unnecessary complexity.

2 Likes

One thing we have to note when creating a section in My Tasks list is that by default the section is ā€œprivate to meā€ and invisible to other users.
So, in my team we create a project named ā€œSectionsā€ and add all those sections to that project. Then we can see each otherā€™s sections and can move a task into that section.

2 Likes

May Iā€™m coming too late.

But I really missing this category too. Iā€™m trying to apply GTD principles with Asana and my tasks is for me the perfect place to make my weekly review.

Iā€™m not expecting to have on this category the tasks with a Waiting on link to another task. Iā€™m just want to manually put a task on this category cause Iā€™m waiting for raining outside, waiting for my vacation. waiting for the call of Ms Y that promise to call me back, ā€¦

It will be georgious to have this option just for personal work organisation.

Thanks RashadIssa, Iā€™m feeling not alone :wink:

2 Likes

Can categories Today / Upcoming / Later & New Tasks be castomizable?
My new tasks with a deadline of 2w+ would be hidden in Upcoming or Later category :persevere:
and somehow a whole block of my old tasks that I still need to keep were trapped in Upcoming. Sure, I can move them up butā€¦
Personally I need only 3 categories: New, Sorted, Pending.

3 Likes

Maybe you can already do this, but why canā€™t I add categories to the tasks in ā€œMy tasks?ā€ It seems like a great idea because so things are necessarily related to a project, but they are still for a client and we want to be able to capture them for reporting purposes.

If there is already a way to add categories, could someone let me know? If not, could this feature be added?

1 Like

For us a Pending / Waiting on / Backlog section in My Tasks view could be useful. Sometimes we do not want to change original due date, just to be aware that the task is overdue, we do not want to move it to Upcoming, because it will never get promoted (move up) to Today and clutter the list. If we could somehowe set apart such tasks would be helpful.

1 Like

There are several tasks in My Tasks that I canā€™t complete yet because Iā€™m waiting for someone else to take action first. Iā€™d like to be able to organize those somehow: maybe by tagging them, having them be in a different section, or some other way. I want to see at a glance what I should be working on, and what I canā€™t work on yet.

I like to use calendar view, so this function would be really helpful there.

7 Likes

Hi @Elisa1 :wave: Thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us!

There is an existing thread regarding this topic so Iā€™ve gone ahead and merged your post with it to avoid duplications. I hope itā€™s OK.

Please, make sure to add your vote by clicking on the vote button at the top left corner of this thread.

Have a great Friday! :smiley:

1 Like

Has there been a resolution to this issue? I too need to be able to have my ā€œpendingā€ items in one area. I already tag them as ā€œawaiting responseā€ but then they clutter up my task view with creates unnecessary and annoying cognitive load. Iā€™m hoping thereā€™s been a product update thatā€™s addressed what is surely a common issue.

1 Like

@Natalia - you mentioned thereā€™s an existing thread on thisā€¦ can you link to that?

For my partā€¦ Iā€™m thinking that tags might be a good way to do this? Create a tag called ā€œwaitingā€ and ā€œtab-tā€ to apply it. The you can see it highlighted and filter it out if desired?

Tag might be a solution, but has drawbacks e.g. one canā€™t quickly hide (collapse) those tasks in My Tasks view as you can do with Today, Upcoming or Recently assigned. Apart from that in case of recurring tasks, one would need to remove it at some point, either before completing or after new recurring task is created. as the tag is inherited. The same for adding the same task to another project.
It my opinion additional category similar to these four that already exists, seems to be the most practical solution.

HI @Dave_Moore and welcome to the Forum! :wave:t5:

Sorry for the confusion. This is the thread I was referring to. I have merged Elisaā€™s post to this thread for consolidation purposes! If you havenā€™t yet, I would encourage you to add your vote by clicking on the vote button next to the title. :slight_smile:

Hi it seems there is a thread on this topic but I do t see the link?

Can you send me the link to the thread you are referencing?

Hi @Kent_Mirkhani! What link do you mean?

If you want to vote on this feature, just scroll up, and click vote (in my case itā€™s already Voted):

@Przemek,

Check out the way I set up Sections in my own My Tasksā€“itā€™s the big screenshot and brief explanation ahead of it in this Asana blog post:

Youā€™ll find a ā€œPendingā€ section in there which I think is what youā€™re trying to do.

While adding Sections in My Tasks was mentioned once very early in this thread, it was not made clear that youā€™d want to only do that within the Today category (not in Upcoming or Later) because this is the only way to insure auto task promotion will not move your tasks around; theyā€™re safe in Today.

Larry

@lpb Larry,

Thank you.

This is more less the same as we solve that too:
The shortcomings of this approach are, at least, (i) you canā€™t collapse such a section and hide tasks and (ii) there is no shortcut to move tasks to this section such as Tab+Y for Today.

1 Like

Not sure what I was seeing there. All I need is one place to look at all my open tasks and what stage they are currently in. My Tasks view gives me a list of my tasks but since fields are weirdly limited I have no information as to their current state.