Multihome a Task with Separate Completion Status

I’m relatively new to Asana, but loving it so far. I thought setting up a workflow would be a great way to help manage my team’s repetitive processes, but I’m running into some trouble when moving a task into another project. For instance, I have a rule in place to move a task from my Design team’s project to the Social team’s project, which works, but then if the task is set to mark as Incomplete for the Social team, it is also marked as Incomplete for the Design team. Is there a way to either move or duplicate the task into another project while retaining the task contents/information, but have separate completion status?

For the Design team, their work on the project is complete, and I want the task to reflect that on their project board, but for the social team their work is not and I also want that reflected. Is this possible or is there some sort of workaround? I’ve been digging through tutorial videos and the forum, but haven’t been able to find a similar use case.

Thanks!

Welcome, @vdles,

Multi-homing a task puts a task in multiple projects, but it’s the same task, so it just has a single completion status.

My typical solution when I have a process with multiple steps carried out by different teams/people, and I want them to be able to be grouped together, is to treat Design Work and Social Work as two subtasks of a parent task representing the project as a whole.

But it’s hard to say what the right solution is for your situation without knowing more and spending more time (which is what I do in consulting engagements).

You might find this workshop I did helpful generally in approaching workflows:

Hope that helps,

Larry

Hello @vdles ,

I see two approaches possible

:one: Keep all in one main task
In this case, I would consider, in the Design team project having a Section dedicated to tasks that have been completed for them; once they are done with their work on the Task, it will into that section but still stay open for the other team to continue the work.

I would also consider adding Custom Fields which show the status of the task; with those, you can then have additional metadata that you can leverage both for your automation or cross-team reporting as needed.

:two: Break down the main task into subtasks
You can consider having the automation generate Subtasks as it moves into stages

In either case I would not create duplicates of a task because people would start losing the context of the work done previously unless you manually link the two tasks, which would add manual work and might bring with it confusion and (human) mistakes.

Cheers,
Rosario

2 Likes

Thanks for such quick responses @Rosario_Messina and @lpb !

I don’t think creating as subtasks would work as well for this use case since I want to keep the teams and project board separate to allow each team to include other tasks their specific team would have, like project admin and future planning. We previously had both teams working within one project sharing tasks and subtasks, but it became confusing with shared tasks in the one space.

I hadn’t considered Custom Fields though, despite already having a Status one set up in my workflow trigger for moving the task within the Design board. :sweat_smile: It would make sense to carry that through to the Social team’s board, and allow the Design team to see the status of the project while knowing they’ve finished their end of it. Plus, philosophically, in this case with social media posts, the tasks are not complete complete until the social team finishes with them, so it would make sense to not have them marked as Completed until the Social team puts them live.

I’m going to give that a try and see how it works for us. Thanks so much for the resources! It’s been so interesting learning all the different ways Asana can be utilized and customized to the needs of each area of our work

2 Likes

Just for the benefit of other readers, the suggestion both I and Rosario proposed did not suggest any change to your projects so none of the above applies. You would home the design-related subtask(s) to the Design board and social-related tasks to the Social board; those boards can continue to be used in the same manner you want to. I’ve used this approach very successfully myself and with dozens of large client organizations for years.

Thanks,

Larry

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I see what you mean now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.