Multi-select custom field?

Is it possible to workarounds when I need to have multi-select custom fields?

We have multiple language versions of our site, and since I don’t want to make the project an even bigger one by handling 6 different projects for each language. Any ideas on how to use what Asana has for this? Tags or custom field? I’ve tried both already, but either did the job.

So, the idea is that I can easily sort tasks by custom field: language. Then I can view all projects by the language I want with categories still displayed. This makes it so easy to hop to tasks on a specific language version.

Tags I tried, but there’s no option to filter by tags easily, and i’m also not sure that can you search with more than one tag at once. Either way, i’m trying to avoid making any roundabouts that are too technical for those who don’t really use Asana.

With the custom field, I can’t assign them to subtasks. Multi-select field could work on this, because then I could tag all the language versions needed to the parent task.

Problem is, that most of our translation related tasks are always built by task and the subtasks are for each language. I can’t add a custom field for a subtask, and not using subtasks is not really an option with a big project.

Any ideas?

12 Likes

Multi-select custom fields are coming!

6 Likes

Love that multi-select fields are coming!!!

@Veera_Vuorio - While we don’t use tags for filtering, we make a lot of use of multiple tags in saved searches. In the advanced search, under “Add Filter”:

• “Has Tags” will search for tasks containing ANY of the tags in your list
  • “Has all of these tags” will search for tasks containing ALL of the tags in your list
  • “Doesn’t have these tags” will search for tasks containing NONE of the tags in your list

1 Like

Hi, is there an update to this?

Asana folks have not provided any update on this yet.

1 Like

any update on this? I have an immediate need for a multi-select custom field.

Well, this is the latest update - but it’s “no update”, sorry:

Any updates on this? I know there has been a lot of work on workload management but this would be a pretty useful feature for us.

No further updates on this have come from Asana, sorry.

Any updates on multi-select custom fields?

Is there an update on this? This is the most important feature I am waiting for before deploying Asana.

2 Likes

Hello! Also waiting for a the option to select multiple custom fields.

1 Like

Any updates on multi-select custom fields?

2 Likes

Any update on this?

1 Like

Do we have a timeline on when this feature will be available? For now, we are using a text box for our custom fields until this is in place. It’s disappointing to see that this functionality is taking so long to implement. My team is moving away from Smartsheet to Asana to manage our content calendar and projects, but not having multi-select will definitely hinder the way we’ve been operating in our Smartsheet.

1 Like

Hi @anon40363098 and welcome to the forum!

Asana does not share information about timelines for upcoming features, so I’m afraid there’s no specific answer available to your question:

We do not share a product roadmap because we are unable to promise a timeline and we want to ensure that the features and updates we release are as well made as possible. We wouldn’t want to release a sub-par feature just to meet a deadline - quality is super important to us.

This should have been a basic feature if you want people to use the project management tool. Asana lacks many powerful features and this is one of them.

6 Likes

I’d love to know when this feature will be available. We could really use the ability to select multiple options in custom fields instead of just a single option.

2 Likes

Hi Asana Staff and other forum members. The multi-select custom field is a critical feature that looks like it has been discussed here for nearly a year and a half. I am surprised that it has not been resolved. What is the latest information about this?

8 Likes

I agree, this is something that’s very much needed. It makes it hard for us to organize our product roadmap when feature requests fall within 2 or more parts of our system.

6 Likes