Moving my tasks from someone else's project to my own

Hello, I would like to move many tasks I made as part of someone else’s project over to my own private project. How do I go about doing this? Is there are quick way to move everything or do I have to recreate it all?

Thank you for your help!

Welcome back :wave:

When you say “project” you are talking about an Asana project right? Not a different account? Do you have access to both project with one account?

You can multi select tasks holding the shift key and then change the project of all the tasks at once.

Hello Willow,

The easiest fix is to reassign the tasks to yourself and then change the setting on the project to a private/locked setting if you want no one else to view the project. If you would like to move the project from one workspace to a different workspace (i.e. your personal workspace versus a business one) that is a little more difficult. There is an integration though that can help with that if you are interested, called Kothar. https://asana.kothar.net/

I hope that helps,
Katie

1 Like

Hey @Willow_Paule, I would love to add some further resources to the great input on this thread!

As @Bastien_Siebman has mentioned, if you have access to both Projects and they live in the same Workspace or Organization within Asana, you can easily multi-select all Tasks you would like to move and then multi-home them into your own private Project.

However, as @Katie_Reynolds has mentioned, should both Projects be located in different spaces within Asana you could certainly use the Kothar Integration to move the Tasks from one Workspace/Organization into the other. I was able to find this recent thread on the Kothar Integration for your reference.

I really hope that one of these two options helps resolve your issue, please feel free to get back to us on this thread should you have any further questions or comment!

Have a great Wednesday :sunny:

1 Like

Hello everyone, I am so grateful for how kind and helpful everyone in this community is! I admit, I don’t understand Asana that well yet but am trying to learn more.

Originally I was invited to Asana by a friend so I think I created my account under her Workspace. Meanwhile, I created my own Workspaces and I thought I was saving my personal tasks there, but it turns out I was still creating tasks in her old Workspace but just making them private to me.

So, what I am wondering is if there is a simple way to move my tasks from her Workspace to my own? Does that mean I need to use Kothar as @Katie_Reynolds suggested?

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Happy to have you here :wave:

Yes, the easiest way to move tasks around is to use Kothar. You can also do a CSV export/import I think, @James_Carl can you share possible limitations of both solutions?

2 Likes

If you are moving between spaces there are two tools to do this https://asana.kothar.net/ which has been around for a long time and as I understand is in the process of working on version 2. In full disclosure I am the owner of Sendana Add which will also move between spaces. This is covered on the post Sendana Tools-Sendana Add- A Novel Way to Add and/or Transfer Projects and Tasks In Mass - #9 by James_Carl

@Bastien_Siebman in regards to the differences, we developed Sendana add to have many option switches as well as the distinct difference to copy tasks or projects between spaces or within a space. Complete instructions on its use and capabilities are attached. Both can only do what the API allows. I believe we have encompassed everything we can including sections, dependencies and documentation if custom fields are involved. We also allow multiple copies to be processed at once. Kothar has been a valuable resource for years and one can actually try both if they want to know the differences. I really can’t speak to that.

Sendana Add Instructions.pdf (193.3 KB)

1 Like

@Bastien_Siebman thank you, that seemed to work. The reason I wanted to change everything over to my own workspace was because I continue to have issues with the dates on tasks. I set some tasks to recur every week on a Monday, for example, and then the next week they will show up earlier like Sunday. I wonder if it’s because the owner of the workspace is using Asana in a different country and time zone? So I am seeing if this remedies the problem.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

1 Like