Moving columns between projects

Hello everyone,

is it possible to move a whole column with all its tasks from one project to another? If so, how?
We would like to archive whole columns to a different project.

Best,
Daniel

Hi @Daniel_Bartholomae

A quick question first: Do you have a premium account? The reason I ask is that there’s a reasonably quick way to do this if you can use the Advanced Search feature.

Hi @Mark_Hudson

…well what is it?

Hi @Mark_Hudson,

Dying to hear your fix on this one. Can’t figure it out for the life of me!

Thanks,
Joe

Hi @Joe_Yeres

Sorry, I’ve been absolutely snowed under at work recently! Just had time to read this. My workaround is not perfect but does the trick . . .

Project A = the original project, from which you want to move the column of tasks.
Project B = the new project, to which you want to move the tasks.

1. Run an advanced search and put Project A in the ‘in Projects’ box. This instantly gives you all of the tasks in that project, but in list form, which means you can now multi-select them.

2. Select all of the tasks that you want to move. Now, this is the less-than-perfect bit, because the advanced search results will not appear in column order. In fact, I’m not entirely sure in which order they’re sorted. So, my recommendation for this bit would be to have Project A open in another tab for reference, then manually select all of the tasks you want to move.

3. In the task pane, select the ‘Add this task to another project’ button, and add all tasks to Project B:

4. image

5. In that same section, remove the tasks from Project A.

The tasks have now moved from Project A to B. Like I said, it’s not perfect, but until we can multi-select tasks in board view, it’s the easiest solution I can come up with.

Let me know if you have any questions or if it something doesn’t make sense!

Thanks for taking your time writing all of these, mate. It worked perfectly!
It’s annoying why this simple drag and drop isn’t available like on the list-mode.

No problem! Glad it worked for you. I agree. If you could multi-select tasks in board view, I’d use it a lot more.

@Mark_Hudson - What if you don’t have a premium account? Is there still a way to move a column from Project A to Project B?

HI @Melissa_Lok-Lee

The only other way I can think of doing it would be to export Project A as a CSV, then use that CSV to import the column into Project B. Not ideal, or particularly fast, but it should do the trick.