Move a task to a subtask in board view

Is it possible to move a task to a subtask of a different task in board view?

4 Likes

Unfortunately, that’s not possible at the moment @Ashley_Kay; that said, I might have a workaround for you. You could create a List project and multihome (How to Complete Task Fields in Asana | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide) all your Board tasks into this List projects. You should then be able to move a task to a subtask of a different task from the List project. This will instantly be reflected in your Board project! I can appreciate this is quite of a manual process, but it might be a good workaround for the time being!

1 Like

Thanks Marie but the task I want to make a subtask already has comments and completed subtasks associated with it and I don’t want to lose that data. Can I put this in as feature request?

2 Likes

Hi there!
I saw it is not possible to convert a task to a subtask also in project boards (you can press the three dots → move task → make a subtask of…), then you can delete the (now) subtask from the project, by unassigning it from the project.
Is it now possible to also do it vice versa? This is such a small missing feature that annoys me every single day I am working with Asana…
Best,
Tom

hi @Tom_Keller :wave:t3: What do you mean exactly by doing it vice versa? Converting a subtask into a task? I’m afraid this is not possible at the moment, but this is definitely something we will keep in mind for the future!

Yes, converting a subtask to a task in a board project.
Now that finally converting a task to a subtask is possible, I thought the other way around would also finally work…

2 Likes