Meet your new My Tasks

I can see benefits from the changes, like some users who might prefer a board layout. But the two things that are destroying my workflow are:

1. No keyboard shortcuts (the suggested ⌘ ⇧ ↑ / ⌘ ⇧ ↓ shortcuts to move between sections don’t work with collapsed sections apparently also rendering them pretty useless)
  2. Breaking the hack so that all recurring tasks appear in Recently Assigned. This compounds issue #1 and really makes My Tasks a chore to use in its current state.

Hoping for quick fixes!

22 Likes

I still don’t have the new My Tasks either. The timelines all suggested it would be fully rolled out by late April. As my org’s admin, I’d like to be able to give my users an accurate expectation of when they’ll see their workspace change.

Hi,

WIll the tasks in Upcoming and Later move to Today when the due date is today?

Thanks.

2 Likes

This looks great. Looking forward to further customising my My Tasks page.

1 Like

It looks like keyboard shortcuts stopped working, no TAB+Y, TAB+U or TAB+L anymore, even if the docs still mention it. Is it a bug or a feature? It’s a major problem for me.

11 Likes

Any timeline for the fast fix? Between the bug where recurring tasks get put into Recently Assigned, and replacing a single keystroke with half a dozen or more (or reaching for a mouse) to move tasks to Upcoming or Later, this is a perfect storm of making Asana infuriating to use.

5 Likes

Hi everyone!

@Vanessa_Gardner we are planning to start gradually rolling out the new My Tasks to existing Business and Enterprise customers starting the end of May. You will be notified about the migration 2 weeks before it takes effect on your account.

@Tim_Jasper we are planning to implement custom fields in My Tasks in future updates! In regards to the second rule “move to a section>> Outcome: add task to a project”, you can currently create this trigger with the custom tule builder.

As it stands, you can search by tasks assigned to you and select a specific criteria. However, we don’t have immediate plans to implement the option to search within sections in My tasks.

When you multi-select tasks in a project, you will be able to move tasks between sections in that project but not in your My Tasks. If you access each task, you will be able to update its section.

1 Like

Hi @Ben_Studer, thanks for reaching out! When you select “Delete section”, you will be prompted to delete only the section and keep the tasks. Those tasks will be automatically moved to a untitled section that you can keep at the bottom of the list. In order to best assist you here, I’d also recommend you to contact our support team, confirm how you would like to organize your My Tasks and some screenshots showing your current sections. Our team will be able to have a closer look and offer some advise: How to contact our Support Team ✉

Thanks for your feedback, @Jason_C! I’m sorry to hear about your experience with the new My Tasks. This new version is fully customizable and now you can have better control over your My Tasks and how to organize your work. In regards to the recurring tasks in the Recently assigned section, our team is aware of this and we are looking into it. If you don’t have the option to drag and drop your tasks, it’s likely because you are sorting your list by Due Date. Please feel free to reach out to our via our #tipsandtricks category if you have follow-up questions or you still cannot drag and drop your tasks, we’ll be happy to help!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, @Todd_Cavanaugh! We hope to have news about keyboard shortcuts and recurring tasks in the recently assigned section soon :raised_hands:

@Russel_Fogg we will notify users two weeks before the migration takes effect on their account!

@Jaime_Blanco with the new My tasks you will be able to create the rule Move tasks to the “Today” section when the due date is “Today”, this means any tasks approaching “Today” will move to the Today section.

@Jordi I shared a workaround in this comment, but we hope to introduce keyboard shortcuts in upcoming updates :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Will the new My Tasks update include any updates to how subtasks are managed??

Specifically - My Tasks organized by Project. Subtasks should be located in the project they’re within instead of under “No Project” – without the tasks being pulled into the main project List when I’ve viewing the individual project.

This would make viewing my personal tasks in “My Tasks” vastly more functional and organized, without making the main project views a mess with all the subtasks being viewed there.

It seems that this request was posed in this post and many others: Project Name for subtasks & Section in My Tasks

9 Likes

Hi Emily,

Do I need a paid version for this?

with the new My tasks you will be able to create the rule Move tasks to the “Today” section when the due date is “Today”, this means any tasks approaching “Today” will move to the Today section.

Thanks.
Jaime

1 Like

This is the most horrible update that I just had to comment. This update basically breaks our workflow that I have been using for YEARS as others have commented and also a blatant attempt to force people to pay for the “Custom Rules”. UGH. What an abomination of an update and really just infuriating. Just give us an option to OPT OUT of these updates please for goodness sake or most of us here will have no choice but to look to your competitors. You are losing us. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

13 Likes

Have to push back on this one point - the rules needed to implement the equivalent of the old auto-promote are available at all subscription levels including free. (You actually have more flexibility now.)

5 Likes

Nope. None of the three “free” rules are of any use to me and the Custom Rules requires “upgrade to business”. Just wow

5 Likes

HI Emily

It’s the end of May next week and I haven’t heard that it’s rolling out, has it been delayed?

Thanks

Vanessa

1 Like

I just got the new “My Tasks”. I have the same problem and I am really frustrated now. I also really miss the old YUL shortcuts.

9 Likes

I must say I am quite disappointed with the way this was rolled out.
Such changes disrupts the workflow of many users. It would be wise to do an “opt-in” release, gather feedback and do a final release. Why the rush to deliver an incomplete feature ? To me, given the current state of the app, this release is actually introducing bugs rather than a feature.

12 Likes

I just got the new My Tasks. I’m noticing that the keyboard shortcuts for mark for upcoming and mark for later (Tab- U and Tab-L) aren’t working. Is that a bug? Please restore this functionality ASAP. It’s a significant part of my workflow to be able to quickly sort tasks using keyboard shortcuts

5 Likes

I agree with @Bartek_Nowotarski, the loss of keyboard shortcuts is a real blow. And recurring tasks auto-moving to Later was really neat.

I understand Asana is making changes that give people more flexibility and choice about how to manage their tasks. But these changes have broken a workflow that I’ve been using for many years.

17 Likes

100% agree with @Todd_Cavanaugh 's feedback!

4 Likes