Meet your new My Tasks

Board view is great, but everything else makes everything complicated. So far “My Tasks” view in Asana was perfect for GTD approach to task management. The “Today” section was the key for every day workflow.

And now it is not.

Fist, there are no keyboard shortcuts. Tab+L, Tab+T don’t work. Good bye quick keyboard Asana, hello long mouse travels for the most basic everyday task.

Then you cannot fully simulate the old, automatic, logical and obvious progression (later->upcoming->today) with rules. There is a problem if you have a task that repeats. When you complete your weekly task, a new one appears. It used to go to “Later” automatically, which was perfect. But now it always goes to “Recently assigned”! So you have to move it with the mouse to “Later” every single time.

How is this a good change? It makes things less effective, as basic things require more attention. What was automatic is now manual, what was accessed with keyboard in 0.2s how takes 2s with mouse.

And now the only solution to keep the daily workflow fast and simple is to get rid of all the sections in “My Tasks”. But then, say good bye to “Getting Things Done” approach, where list of tasks for Today is fundamental to effective workflow.

In this new solution you just can’t have “Today” section unless you spend time on babysiting it.

Asana has been changing things into more and more complicated for some time now and I really don’t get it. After all the most powerful thing was its simplicity.

So now I have to manually set some rules to get close to what was already available without any rules. And I have to keep moving tasks manually between sections every day, even though it all worked automatically before.

How is this helpful in any way?

22 Likes