Meet your new My Tasks

I just got the upgraded My Tasks today. Hated it right away, this is now how I work. I want one view of all my tasks that I can sort by due date. Recently Assigned, Today, Upcoming, etc are all meaningless to me. Fortunately, in the Sort drop-down I found I can turn off “Sort within sections” and be back to the way I need it to work.

3 Likes

Ugh. I was so looking forward to this, and it’s destroyed the experience for me as a new user (three months in).

I was reluctant to give another platform a chance because i had invested so much time learning Asana.

Now re-learning the new workflow means the cost of switching to a new system is not much difference. Time to investigate alternatives.

1 Like

Ouch. I’m not sure proper feedback was done on this one. As detailed over earlier, the work flow is completely disrupted.

1. How can I make the scheduled tasks appears on “My Task Lists”. Getting to work with Calendar mode doesn’t seem efficient

2. Why the recurring tasks goes into recently assigned to me? They are recurring for a routine and they do not need to be parsed there for every time.

Any way to revert?

9 Likes

I also agree with Vincent_Royant

1 Like

Just got the update. And I really love it. It’s an great improvement right now. And will get even better in the future. Great work Asana :heart:

4 Likes

I’m running into the issue of updating a due date for a task when it’s in a section with a rule but when the rule is ran, it does not update the task into the new correct section.

Once again, Asana makes a comprehensive, workflow-breaking change without warning and without any transition period, then has to scramble to try to bring back the critical features that were removed. This one though is probably the worst. I used to brag to people about Asana because of the novel “New/Upcoming/Later” scheme that worked so beautifully, especially for personal task management (i.e., My Tasks). Now this is gone and Asana feels like just another clunky task management tool with way too much clicking around the screen. My issues (the same as many):

• Today, Upcoming, and Later are now just generic sections. No keyboard shortcuts to navigate between them (the workaround shortcuts are no good)
  • My previous “subsections”, which I used regularly, have been converted to full sections which destroys how I used them
  • Recurring tasks showing up in Recently Assigned. This is absolutely terrible.
  • Importantly, the new rules do NOT recapitulate the old priority system for one main reason for me: I do not want a task in the Recently Assigned section with a due date of today to go in the Today section. I manually review the tasks in “Recently assigned” each day to confirm if they’re needed, put them in projects, etc. This was a critical part of my daily routine and workflow. So the new Rules do not substitute the old, very smooth way of automatically sorting things.

Very disappointed in Asana, which I used to brag about so highly.

16 Likes

The task will only move sections when it hits a specific trigger - it’s a shame we can’t set a range of due dates in a rule - something like “greater than 1 day, less than 7 days” so that a task I date for a few days from now will get moved tonight. That task isn’t going to move until it hits the ‘today’ rule.

In fairness the above behaviour is no different to ‘pre-rule’ times, but rules were an opportunity to make a great product even better…

4 Likes

Couldn’t you create a rule to move recurring tasks into whatever section you wanted to upon creation? Might require adding a tag or use of a custom field to note that they are recurring (don’t think rules today can “see” that), but then you could have the rule move it to whatever place.

I would advise against creating any rules just now to try and work around the My Tasks recurring-task behavior. Asana has said they’ll soon be improving (or some might say “repairing”) the behavior of recurring tasks in My Tasks, so if it were me, I’d wait - IMO not worth potentially spending time on something you’ll likely be throwing away soon.

3 Likes

I’ve been using Asana for 8+ years and the new MyTasks is total crap. Is there a button to go back to the main MyTasks dashboard that made me love and recommend Asana?

7 Likes

No, there is not.

Hey @Emily_Roman thanks for the heads-up on this! Howcome these shortcut keys don’t work in board view though and only work in List View :frowning_face:

Hi @Kyle_Bruner

Just wanted to check on a couple of things…

My understanding this would only occur if you set a rule for the Recently Assigned Section… I don’t have rules associated with that section and any Task assigned to me stays there until I move it…

I also used Subsections under the Today Section which I moved task manually into previously. These still work for me without issue, and in somecase slightly easier now that there is the toggle to move tasks to the section without having to drag. Can you elaborate on how yours are broken?

Yes agree that no Shortcuts and the Recurring task problem are not good but Asana have committed to fixing those soon.

Jason.

@Jason_Woods

For the recently assigned, the issue for me is with due date-based rules. Based on my tests, if I create a task today and make it due tomorrow, as soon as it’s tomorrow it automatically puts it in the Today view if I use a due date-based rule (the only kind I can make as a non-pro user). However I don’t want this. I want to review it manually in the “Recently assigned” section first. It’s just part of my workflow.

For the subsection, I also used one subsection under “Today” called “To Sort”. any tasks under upcoming or later would automatically go under this subsection, then I would sort them by priority for the day. I guess I could make a rule workaround to accomplish the same kind of thing…

At the end of the day here, I think we can all agree that it’s not the specifics that are at issue. The issue is 1) You changed the structure and didn’t warn me about it, 2) it broke my workflow, and 3) I can’t change it back. That’s the issue here.

3 Likes

In case you missed it among the 200+ poss above, my article:

shows my simple workaround, a dashed line, that allows me to triage tasks and rule updates so nothing happens without my review; it seems like that addresses at least a piece of your workflow. Not perfect, but best workaround I know of for now.

Hope that helps a little,

Larry

1 Like

My challenge is with recurring tasks. When I complete one, the next one automatically shows up in ‘Recently Assigned’. It might be due in a week, two weeks, a month, or some other timeframe in the future.

These recurring tasks used to stay buried in either ‘Upcoming’ or ‘Later’, and would automatically appear in ‘Today’ when their due date arrived. I relied heavily on this workflow.

Is there a way to create a rule to replicate this functionality? Even if it’s for paid users only, that’s fine.

6 Likes

Hi @Robin_Eldred,

Asana has said they’ll soon be improving (or some might say “repairing”) the behavior of recurring tasks in My Tasks. so hopefully you’ll have some relief soon!

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, Phil. Much appreciated, and fingers are crossed.

Hi, I just got the new “My tasks”. Love the rules. :grinning:

Any way to delete the four default sections?
I can apparently delete the sections apart from the “Recently assigned” only in board view, is it by design?

If a delete a section, do I delete the tasks in that section? If the tasks are not deleted from the section I delete, where do they go?

Answers to those questions will get me started with the new “My tasks”, for the time being, thanks.