Meet our new Task option Menu

Hey @Marie

On your screenshot above, you are trying to move subtasks as subtasks of another tasks but if I have several tasks (not subtasks) selected at once, I can’t find the option (…/Advanced/Make a subtask of) - screenshot attached.

Or am I mistaken?

Best,
Gilles

3 Likes

Got you @Gilles! You’re correct, it’s not possible at the moment to make several tasks subtasks of another task; sounds like a good opportunity for a new thread in the #productfeedback category :wink:

3 Likes

@Marie done :wink:

3 Likes

It got my vote.

5 Likes

Dear @Marie,
I tried your suggested method to move some subtasks from one task to another but I have faced with an issue.
If I select the subtasks and after that press the Make a Subtask of button on the parent task (Test in your example)
than the parent task (Test) will be the subtask and the subtasks will be sub-subtasks.
My question is that is it possible to move only the subtasks?
Thank you in advance!
Regards,
Adrian

Hey @adrian.szlama, I’m stepping in here for Marie!

I am sorry to hear that you are running into issues with this, I completely understand what you mean.

In order to move Subtasks under a different Parent-Task, you would currently have to click into each Subtask to access the Subtasks menu, you cannot currently move multiple Subtasks under a different Task through the dropdown menu.

An easier way to do this may be to simply drag the Subtasks into the Project itself and then under the new Parent-Task. You can learn more about this here. Let me know if you have any follow-up question!

2 Likes

Hi @Edda!
Thanks for the quick answer, now it’s clear how this function works.

3 Likes

WAT ? Are you kidding me? :grimacing: it is terrible, sometimes i need to move hundred subtasks

2 Likes

An easier way to do this may be to simply drag the Subtasks into the Project itself and then under the new Parent-Task. You can learn more about this here . Let me know if you have any follow-up question!

It might be easier if asana will support drag and drop to another window

1 Like

Am glad this feature has been added. I have had a great deal of challenge to move tasks around from being a main task to a subtask in board view. This solves my problem. Thanks for this feature. I have been late in seeing this feature but today it has helped me a lot.

3 Likes

Agreed. Very clumsy and inefficient work-around use of this feature. Right now it is simply not possible to do this in bulk, only one by one.

1 Like

An easier way to do this may be to simply drag the Subtasks into the Project itself and then under the new Parent-Task. You can learn more about this here . Let me know if you have any follow-up question!

How do we do this in bulk though? Whilst you can select & move multiple subtasks into the Project itself, it is not possible to then select & move these “subtasks” (which have now been turned into “tasks” under the project) under the new Parent-Task.

1 Like

Hey @Brandon_Truong-Phan, my apologies for the late reply. It would currently not be possible to multi-select Tasks and make them Subtasks of another Tasks though I can certainly understand how this could be really helpful. If you have not done so already I would recommend creating a thread with your feedback in our Product Feedback category!

Is it possible to convert a subtask into a proper task?

You can open the parent task, and drag and drop the subtask in the project and will become a task.

If you drop it in between two other tasks (not on the section name) it will brake free from the parent task and will become a task in the project.

If you want it to be a task in the project but keep it as a subtask of the parent task:

• drag and drop it on the name of the section you want it to be in (not between other tasks like above)
  • go into the subtask and choose the add to project (or Tab+P) and then choose any project