Mass Update Tasks to include Milestone Project

Hi all,

One of our previous users created a ton of milestones that contain tasks. Looks like the milestones were added to projects but the individual tasks were not.

When I run an advanced search and export to CSV, none of the tasks have a project listed in the project column. Also, when I look at my task list in Asana, none of the individual tasks show a project in the project column.

So my question is - is there a simple way to mass update all tasks within milestones to include the project that the parent milestone is in? Or do these all have to be updated manually? There are like 1000+ tasks that have no project listed, so I would need some kind of mass update / automated solution.

Thanks so much!

Hi @Artemis_5, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

When you mentioned that the Milestones include tasks, are you referring to subtasks? If so, it is currently expected behaviour that subtasks are not automatically added to the parent tasks’ project.

You can use the mutli-select feature in the seach results to bulk add the subtask to projects. You can select up to 50 tasks/subtasks with the multi-select feature. Check it out here: Ways to save time in Asana | Product guide • Asana Product Guide

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

@Rebecca_McGrath - thanks for getting back!

When you mentioned that the Milestones include tasks, are you referring to subtasks?

Correct.

If so, it is currently expected behaviour that subtasks are not automatically added to the parent tasks’ project.

It would be cool if they were auto-added in a future release, or the option is given to auto-add in the UI somewhere. Either way, I would think sub-tasks would/should always be linked to the top-level project that they are are in.

You can use the mutli-select feature in the seach results to bulk add the subtask to projects. You can select up to 50 tasks/subtasks with the multi-select feature.

There are 1000+ subtasks with no project listed, so doing 50 at a time wouldn’t be viable in this situation unfortunately. Is there another way to mass update tasks?

Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.