Make Proofing available for users with Comment-only access

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:
We invited a guest member to a project with. The guest has an email adress that is outside of our team. The guest has the role “can comment”. We add an image to a task in the project. When he clicks on the image, the “proofing” window appears. On the top right, he can click on “Add Feedback”. The picture gets an yellow frame. But the mouse cursor does not turn into a crosshair and he can not click into the image to leave a comment.
When I change the guests role to “can edit” it works fine.
When the guest comes from within our team email adresses (“...@myteamsemail.com”) it works fine, even when the role isset to “can comment”.

Steps to reproduce:
Invite a guest from outside the team (the mail provider must not be the same than the teams mail provider, otherwise it won’t be reproducable). Set his role to “can comment”.

Browser version:
Opera 73.0.3856.329
Chrome Version 87.0.4280.141
I don’t think its a browser related bug.

Upload screenshots below:

Hi @Peter_Stein, welcome to the Asana Community Forum!

My hunch is that guests or members shouldn’t be able to use the proofing feature if they have comment only access. I’ll need to test and try to reproduce it but could you confirm if the guest is the assignee of the task?

Looking forward to your reply!

Hi @Emily_Roman , thank you for your quick reply.
Yes, I can confirm that the guest is the assignee of the task. I quickly tried if the guest is allowed to create subtasks for this task, when his role is “can comment”. That is also possible - and I think this is what the “add feedback” button does, too.
I would expect that the “add feedback” funcionality is also kind of a “comment”?
Best regards
Peter

I agree, proofing is basically creating subtasks, so if a comment-only member can create subtasks, it should be able to proof.

Hi Peter, I have just found this exact same issue - we are using comment only for clients to view an external version of the project, we do not want them to be able to complete/delete/move any tasks or amend any deadlines/assignees/collaborators but we do need them to be able to proof assets. As an assignee & collaborator they are not able to create subtasks but we need them to be able to add feedback in proofing - Emily is there any work around or fix for this other than allowing clients free reign over our projects?

Hi everyone and apologies for the delay here! I investigated this further, please find more details below:

This limitation is currently not only related to Guests but users with Comment-only access (regardless if they are Members or Guests). Comment-only users cannot create subtasks on tasks assigned to them. As it stands, users won’t be able to use the proofing feature is they have comment only permissions.

I’ve gone ahead and moved this thread to the #productfeedback category. Don’t forget to add your votes! Our team is also aware of this and I’ll make sure to share any updates as soon as we have plans to implement this feature.

2 Likes

Hi Emily,
thanks for your response.
In my understanding the “Add Feedback” Button should not be clickable for guests. Or at least the yellow frame should not appear when a guest clicks on “Add Feedback” because this suggests that the guest actually can do something with this button.
Best regards
Peter

Thanks for you feedback @Peter_Stein! I believe this should be something similar to what we do for Forms that users with comment only access cannot see the tab. I’ll pass your feedback to our product team so they can consider it when discussing about this feature.

1 Like