šŸ”¢ List of technical and data limitations in Asana

@anon34195150 if you are ok starting from scratch, maybe my tool ā€œCustom Field Creatorā€ can help with this task!

Thank you! I will have a look :slight_smile:

Added 4.9 as reported here and here. Thanks @lpb!

2 Likes

Hey @Richard_Sather,

Just reading through this post again, and one note regarding 4.2: itā€™s actually not as simple as stated here.

Iā€™m told that the internal technical limit is ā€œa maximum of 45 total dependents plus dependencies on one taskā€. However, in addition to this limit, there are some other limits in a few various parts of the Asana UI - these are not currently consistent with each other or with the ā€œ45 totalā€ limit, unfortunately, and I donā€™t have a list of what all of those UI limits on dependents and dependencies are.

Iā€™m told there is a backlog item for Asana developers to clean this up and make the dependents/dependencies limits consistent across the product, but I have no idea if or when that might happen.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update @Phil_Seeman ! Iā€™ve rephrased 4.2 and linked to your post aboveā€¦ until this inconsistency gets ironed out. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @Richard_Sather

A new one, maybe for your list :wink:

Goals
Maximum of 10 projects connected to a goal (or subgoal)

Remark: this concerns only the ā€œcontributing projectsā€ connected to a goal with Automated progress, not the projects added as reference.

3 Likes

This has now been increased from 30 to 100 :slight_smile:

@Richard_Sather

3 Likes

Hey everyone, here are some updates just added:

:white_check_mark: 1.3. Limit of 100 custom fields within a single project
(as a result, I need to look into 1.5 also)

:exclamation: 4.10. Limit of collaborators within a task (?)

:white_check_mark: 4.11. Limit of 2000 tasks with due dates for Critical Path in Timeline

:white_check_mark: 12.1. Limit of 10 projects or portfolios connected to a Goalā€™s progress

:white_check_mark: 12.2 Limit of 100 subgoals connected to a Goalā€™s progress

Thanks @Andrea_Mayer & @Arthur_BEGOU :+1:

4 Likes

Hi @Richard_Sather

A very fresh one about Universal Workload :slight_smile:

=> 300 tasks per person (for one level of zoom : days/week)

Screenshot (42)

3 Likes

Something I wasnā€™t able to find in the above list and I stumbled across today is a limit of 1000 comments per task @Richard_Sather

max comments per task

2 Likes

@Andrea_Mayer , @Arthur_BEGOU , you two are on :fire: Keep them coming :clap:

Iā€™m not sure what is more impressive; that Andrea reached 1000 comments in a task or that @Bastien_Siebman has over 300 tasks this month! :sweat_smile:

PS: 4.12 & 5.4 added

4 Likes

@Arthur_BEGOU , is it possible for you to easily recreate this limit within a Portfolio to test whether this also applies to Workload within a Portfolio (not just Universal Reporting)? Cheers :wink:

Hi @Richard_Sather

Iā€™ve tested it, and indeed, the same limit applies with ā€œWorkload within a Portfolioā€.

1 Like

Thanks @Arthur_BEGOU :+1:

5.4 updated :wink:

1 Like

Updates to:
:exclamation: 1.3. Limit of 100 custom fields within a single project
:exclamation: 1.4. Limit of 100 custom fields within a single portfolio
:exclamation: 1.5. Limit of 100+ (?) custom fields within a single task (under review)
:exclamation: 5.3. Limit of 100 custom fields within a single portfolio

3 Likes

Hey @Richard_Sather

You might want to take a look at my comment there about limits of Bundles :wink:

2 Likes

Amazing list - I wish I saw this a few months ago when we started building our Asana instance. Thanks @Richard_Sather !!

Thanks @Bill_Manley , glad you have found it useful! :smiley:

As you can see, this post is turning into a community-built oneā€¦ it wouldnā€™t be soooo long without the help of my friends @pforumleader @ambforumleader

And thereā€™s more limitations coming soonā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

Hi @Richard_Sather, Iā€™d like to express my appreciation for this article. Exceedingly helpful indeed! Thank you for your work on it and for keeping it up-to-date.

1 Like

Thank you @David_Nelson , thatā€™s very kind of you!

1 Like