Linux commands became "smart" spaces and they do not work when copied and pasted

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: Since about 1-2 weeks ago I noticed that multiple spaces in my linux commands that I had created earlier became “smart” spaces and they do not work when copied and pasted

Steps to reproduce: difficult because it happens only with older already saved data only.

Browser version: firefox

Upload screenshots below:

Hi @Stelios_Kyriacou, thanks for reaching out!

In order to investigate this further, could you please give us more details about the issue? For example, what steps are you following to experience this issue. I see you mentioned it only happens with saved data but for us to be able to investigate we need to know what steps you are taking to experience this issue.

I’ve also updated the title of your post to make it more discoverable for users that might be also experiencing this issue.

Looking forward to your reply.

Emily, it is a difficult issue to describe since we are talking about non-ASCII characters that display as “space” usually (but Linux bash etc dislike them since they can not understand them). I did check with a colleague of mine and he had the same issue with the commands that I showed him so it was NOT just me.

More detail: When I copied Linux commands that were saved many months ago in a project and used to work fine last month, they do not work anymore unless I fix the stupid “spaces” and make them regular spaces.

I will give you an example but I am not sure I can help much more:

I copied and pasted this “lvcreate …” command from my old asana task
This command used to work fine one month ago when I used it. Now it gives an error. If I put the pasted command in a smart editor that can see non-ASCII characters (emacs) it sees some of the spaces as non-ASCII characters.

[root@HOST 200930_13:21:09 ~]

lvcreate --snapshot --name lv_dbdata_test_rollback --size 700g /dev/vg0/lv_dbdata_test

bash: lvcreate : command not found
1:# [root@HOST 200930_13:21:21 ~]

I am fine now because I fixed most of these “spaces” but just wanted to let you know that if you did change something lat month, it did affect me negatively.

I can discuss by phone if needed.

Hi @Stelios_Kyriacou, sorry for the late follow-up here and thanks for taking the time to share this information! Due to the complexity of the issue and how to reproduce it, I believe our support team is in a better position to help you to solve this.

In order to speed up the process, please share the URL of this thread in your request to support so they can see the example you shared here.

Apologies for not being able to assist you further in the forum, I just don’t have the tools to investigate this further! I hope is solved soon and please let me know if you have any other questions.