Linking directly to a folder on own drive/server

Hi @Sebastian_Paasch! Yeah, this is how I am doing it so far. The problem is just that the link is not “clickable”, since your field “Client Folder” would contain an address for the local file explorer (e.g. X:\examplefolder\examplesubfolder). That’s the problem I am trying to solve :wink:

4 Likes

My team’s “solution” was to move our shared files to Dropbox. You can link to files on Dropbox the same way you add an attachment to a given task. Some members of our IT team argue Dropbox opens up a whole new security issue – one the decision to go with an internally hosted shared drive was specifically designed to prevent – but if you can get the Powers That Be to sign off, I think Dropbox will satisfy your desired workflow.

Thanks for the suggestion. As said above, services such as Dropbox do not satisfy our clients ‘security’ demands. Not because it is not secure, but because the files also ‘move’ outside Germany. :confused: I’m not saying it’s rational. That’s just how it is. :wink:

2 Likes

I think that you can achieve a solution using a browser plugin that lets you create a custom script, like Tamper Monkey. These kind of solution works by "changing" the web site youre at (in this case Asana) only in your browser. But I think your Security Team won`t allow something like it.

https://forums.asp.net/t/1794698.aspx?Open+local+file+via+href

I hope that gives some ideas, I haven’t tried it in Asana yet. All I do is store the path in quotes e.g. “C:\Work” and then copy it, Windows-R (run dialog), Ctrl-V (paste), Enter (run), which opens that path.

2 Likes

This is the correct approach. There are NO security issues, it just triggers a local action. If the user has no access on their local machine, then no access is granted.

4 Likes

I work in a financial institution, so storing client data on the cloud is not permissable (is it ever?)

I give the Asana task a descriptive name that gives context to what is actually required. If I need to reference other related data, I store the search term, url or path in Asana, prefixed by a heading. I use the TextBlaze Chrome add-in to insert a snippet with the contents (i.e. email subject or path) of the clipboard in the appropriate area. I use OneNote to keep my thoughts and investigations related to particular tasks. Here is an example of what I might hold in Asana.

Email
subject:“Visa card transactions”

OneNote
“Visa card transactions”

Folder
“R:\Asana\Temp”

ICD
(url to helpdesk system)

3 Likes

Hey @Scott_Dellar! Thanks for the input. I almost thought that one of the solutions would work (and got really excited :smiley: ), but apparently it either doesn’t work with Asana or with our browser(s), even if we install the respective plugins in the link. Even IE couldn’t do it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

can yo not just use file:///C:/’ but replace C:/ with a mapped drive on your server and of course the location of the file/folder after C:/

1 Like

It still doesn’t become clickable in Asana (at least for me).

Not sure I understand that security concern.
It’s not the server that should follow the link, it’s the client.
And either the person to follow the link has access permissions to that file on a shared drive / UNC path, or no access will be granted.
IMO, asana should make such links clickable.

And before anyone points towards Dropbox etc., that’s not an option where I work, not even remotely - for security reasons.

5 Likes

Sorry, I’m new here, just assumed it would work :wink: . This is definately something you should start a feature request on. It shouldn’t be too hard to implement and I think it’s definately worth it. We have both an inhouse server and a google drive. We work on both and it would be nice to link directly to the server and just click the link instead of click + ctrl+a + ctrl+c + windows+r + ctrl+v + enter. By the way, just because that combo works, a LOT of end users will do it an even slower why by dragging mouse, rightclicking, etc.

1 Like

We use the link to file feature in Outlook all the time. I don’t know how Microsoft keeps this connection secure, but I do know that people experience some kind of loss aversion when moving from email to Asana. Now we have to make up work arounds (copy paste will do the trick) for something we’ve taken for granted before using Asana. I hope you can find some kind of technical compromise to fix the issue and make linking to files on hard drives possible!

1 Like

Asana, just stick a Dev on it for a sprint and see what happens!

2 Likes

Hard to believe we still waste time on this obstruction every day. I understand the security concerns, but let us make that choice - give us settings individually and globally, make them uber-secure and off by default, but let us turn them on if we want. image

6 Likes

yes. I am new to Asana in the last 8 weeks and we enjoy links in our microsoft outlook emails but for some reason cannot do the same thing in Asana? I don’t understand. Is there a representative from @Asana on this message string to respond?

It’s June 22, 2022 and still the feature to access a local file from Asana is not implemented the way outlook does. The security concerns if any, are unfounded. What is needed is the automation of the Crt-C, Windows-R-Crtl-V [Enter}

3 Likes

Agreed. This would be a very useful feature for us too. We have robust internal user permissions, and so the link in itself is not a security risk. @asana please make ths work!

4 Likes