Limit Guests to only specific teams or Projects + Renaming Guests and Members for better clarity

Hi There, I hope this finds you well :slight_smile:
We are an Agency using asana to manage tasks for our clients and find that giving access to partners as guests helps collaboration.

Because Guests and Members choose their own name when setting up there is a risk that the wrong person is mentioned in a comment (which then automatically add them as a collaborator and gives them access to view the task).

I have been looking at some options for our organisation to be able to limit the possibility of something going wrong, is it possible to do any of the below?

1. Limit guests to a specific team (ie if they are mentioned outside specific teams it is blocked)

2. Rename all members and guests to ensure the name is clear (eg adding their business name to the name in the profile so it is much clearer who is who and where they are from).

The first option would be the ideal approach (only allow mentions and follows for Specific Teams, specific projects or tasks) as it gives us control as Admins (
On the second point I found the below threads which seems we will need to send a request to all users to change the profile themselves, it would be much better if Admins could control this (getting buy in and action across all members and guests (there are 158 members and guests in our organisation) is going to take a lot of reminding and checking compared to an admin having the option to simply change.

Some posts on these requests here
Renaming Users

Restrict Guest Permissions

Is anyone else having the same challenge/concern or perhaps have found a solution to this?

+1.

On the whole, I think a lot of issues can be avoided if this suggestion from this post was implemented.

Guests shouldn’t appear in auto-suggest at all. Specially since auto-suggest adds that person to the task instantly!

3 Likes

I am planning on building a tool that would give you an overview of all the guests you have and what they see. Like iDO Tools - Improve Asana with our tools and automations but just for guests. Would that help?

Thanks for this, @Bastien_Siebman (great work on Minimalist Work by the way :slight_smile: ) with some effort we can identify which guests exist and what they can see. Something that simplifies this would only help.

Ultimately however, what we really need is some control from Asana. Monitoring after the fact could be too late.

2 Likes

I think this is a SERIOUS security issue. We are also an agency using Asana in collaboration with our clients and it has already happen on multiple occasions that a guest has accidentally been added as a task collaborator to something they should DEFINITELY not be able to see in the first place. @Asana_Admin is there any way this could be alerted as a high priority in development?

I feel that Asana at the moment is seriously lacking in the ability to administrate and monitor what guest see and be able to quickly and easily remove users or update their info.

Are there more threads on this subject that could be merged to highlight its priority?

I have in mind to build a tool giving you a list of guests and what they have access to. Would that help?

Hi Bastien! I am sure it would! Though I deeply hope that Asana realises the importance of even remotely adequate privacy controls, and provides a solution as soon as possible :confused:

@Marie is there anything you could tell us regarding this issue?

The first version of the tool is ready! iDO Tools - Improve Asana with our tools and automations

Here is what a beta tester had to say about it:

We discovered that an employee had added a guest to the Team rather than the specific Project he should have seen. We were then worried that the mistake had been made with other guests. With your tool, we found one guest that had been given rights we didn’t intend, and we were able to fix it – without your tool, it’s nearly impossible to find this kind of situation.

1 Like

Hi Bastien, this is great. Asana so that’s a great bit of functionality :heavy_check_mark:
The ability to see what Teams and Projects is something not possible in Asana so this is a useful bit of functionality.

Is there a way to export this? I ask as reviewing guest by guest it takes a few moments for each guest as we have around 100 guests that will take a while. If possible to get something into a spreadsheet that would be much better.

I will email you to speed up the addition of seeing tasks - it is possible to figure out in Asana, but your interface makes it simpler, putting everything in one place.

Many thanks for listening and putting something together :slight_smile:

I’ll add it to the roadmap.

Your interest showed here is enough :+1:

1 Like

Thank-you @Bastien_Siebman :slight_smile: