(Learn to) Use Subtasks!

Thanks Larry, here’s indeed my own take on the situation after our summit :mount_fuji: :slight_smile:

I want to clarify something with the Asana Community. Based on feedbacks I received, it looks like I became the “Don’t ever use subtasks” guy. My intentions have been misunderstood, my point did not come across and the misalignment between my own use and what I preach have bothered some of the Community members.

Let me start by saying: I love subtasks, I am very successful at using them, and use them a lot.

That being said, I am also helping clients on a daily basis struggling with subtasks. They usually rush into subtasks, use them everywhere, and then come to us for help. “We don’t see the project in My Tasks”, “Workload does not work”, “We don’t see subtasks in Calendar or Timeline” are a daily complaint we hear during sessions.

So a long time ago I decided to adopt this attitude of “Don’t use subtasks”, which in my opinion was easier to explain and more impactful than explaining all the ins and outs of subtasks. I felt I had to simplify my position in order to be heard, at the risk of over-simplifying or even be wrong.

My goal remains the same: make sure every Asana user understands how subtasks work, and use them in a way that works for them. We’ll keep helping the ones running into issues with subtasks to the best of our ability.

The forum is full of heated discussions around subtasks, and my attitude probably did not help. It still remains uncertainty around whether or not Asana considers the way subtasks work to be “normal”, or “buggy”, and if it should be “fixed”.

So, from now on, I’d like to be the “Subtasks are awesome if you know how to use them” guy :wave:, agreed?

10 Likes