Last unread message in the Inbox(with "Unread Only" setting) disappear abruptly.

Bug: Inbox has unread messages on the left and when you click on them the tasks opens up on the right. When we click on the last unread message on the left, it opens up the task on the right side. Now when we start editing it on the right side, after few seconds the task abruptly closes and the Inbox goes empty. I was about to change the Due date in my task. So I clicked on the Due date dropdown and before I could change the date, the tasks just closed and disappeared from the list and now all I see is “No activity was found.”

Inbox with Unread only setting, shouldn’t close the task automatically if someone is viewing it and editing it.
Imagine you are in Outlook and looking at Unread folder, you open up the email and suddenly the email closes without warning and the only way is to go from Unread to Inbox folder and open that email again.

Steps to reproduce:

• Go to Inbox
  • enable the setting “Unread Only” under filters
  • Now read all messages except last. Then click on the last message and you’ll notice that it disappears after a few seconds even if you are already making changes to it.

Browser: Google Chrome [Version 87.0.4280.66 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

Can this be fixed?

Thank you.

Hi @anon41024217, I’ve cleared my Inbox (all my notifications were already read :sweat_smile:) and waited for new ones to come up but I can’t seem to be able to reproduce the issue you reported.

1. Has this happened multiple times to you?
  2. Are you still able to reproduce? If so could you please forward me a screencast?

Looking forward to your reply, thanks for your help!

@Marie

I will try and elaborate on how to reproduce:

Step 1 - Go to Inbox, Select ‘Unread only’ in filter

Step 2 - Read messages one by one, until you reach 2nd last message. When you read the 2nd last message, the message itself disappears from the left side, however if you are editing this message on the right side, it will stay open. It will allow you to make the edits. Everything is fine, up to this point. Compare 2 screenshots below. The task 1 which is still open in screenshot 2, has disappeared from left pane.

Step 3 - Now click on last unread message on the Left pane. Then immediately start editing the task. Even when we are editing it, it will abruptly close and the Inbox will now show Empty. Check screenshot below. Before I could take the screenshot of the last task open it disappeared from the list and this is the screen I see.

Problem: In step 3, last task should stay open until we are done editing it. It disappears almost immediately.

Thank you so much for the additional information @anon41024217 - I was able to reproduce the issue on my end and escalated a bug to our team to investigate.

I’m moving this thread to the In Progress category and will keep you posted here as soon as I have an update :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @anon41024217,
Our product team came back to me and confirmed that this is an expected behaviour as technically once the notification is selected, it is not an “Unread” notification anymore. With that said they agree this is something we could improve in the future. This work is not prioritised at the moment, but I’m moving this thread to the #productfeedback category for now and will keep you posted there as soon as I have an update on my end!

this is one of the most annoying things that I cannot believe exists in a product as mature as Asana. If there’s only one task in my inbox, I should be able to read it in my inbox.

How is an inbox useful if it doesn’t allow you to read the items in it?