Keep assignee after team member is deleted

It’s quite difficult to track tasks within a certain project when a team member leaves the company and their Asana account is deleted. Their name is completely removed from the Assignee field and only a blank space is left. My request is that the user’s name be converted to static text (it wouldn’t link to a profile anymore).

This is particularly inconvenient when I’m exporting data for reports, since the cell is left blank and I have to go back to the Asana task and scroll up through all the task activity to see who was initially assigned to it. Thanks for your consideration!

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum @Maura_Fertich :wave:

When you remove somebody from your organization a private project containing all previously assigned tasks will be created, more info here: https://asana.com/guide/help/premium/admin-console#gl-deactivating

Now you can just go into this project and multi-select tasks in list view to reassign them.

Or you add a people custom field to all these tasks.

The „created by“ metadata field might be helpful in your case.

Thank you, Andrea! The private project sounds useful for re-assigning, but because we’re a large organization the “Admin user” is our IT department. I’ll have to check and see if they have a process for inviting members to the project that is automatically created.

The “created by” field could help with my export so I can look into that, as well. Not a perfect solution but better than nothing!

1 Like

Yeah so how we handle it is based on the person (coordinator) somebody would report to.
Meaning if a designer leaves the time the project with the private tasks that is being created is assigned to the design team lead so they can ensure tasks are reassigned etc.

I definitely recommend setting up such procedure to ensure no tasks fall into limbo :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.