Introducing templates, for Tasks!

Hi @anon47950729 and welcome to the forum!

No, that’s not something that’s currently available.

1 Like

Our team figured as much. We’ve kind of gotten used to this sort of thing now. :man_shrugging:

SO EXCITED for this feature.

The only issue I’m having is that the boards the subtasks are assigned to are not copying over when I use a template task to create a new task? Anyway to add that in?

I create a master task with multiple subtasks for emails or social media posts that need to live on other boards like our editorial calendar.

Any updates on timeline of when you can fix this? It’s absolutely crucial for us to able to use this template task functionality.

Hi there! I was trying this feature out and created some test task templates. How can you edit or delete a task template after it has been created?

Hi @Sarah_Hoopes,

Alas the “other projects” functionality is one of the things that’s not supported in this initial release of task templates:

2 Likes

Hi @Sawsan_El_Darrat and welcome to the forum!

If you click on the template in the Customize window, it will open it back up for editing, and there’s a “Delete template” button in the lower left corner.

3 Likes

Noted! But is there any idea when they plan to make these additional features available? Or can I get a notification/added to a waiting list. This would be huge for our team.

I appreciate your quick response! :slight_smile:

Yes!!! I so need this!

Asana doesn’t pre-announce anything before it’s released, so there’s no way to know if or when they plan to add “other projects” capability to task templates.

There’s no waiting list but the best thing to do is to follow the Announcements section here in the forum - new features get announced there basically before anywhere else!

2 Likes

Thanks!

100% agree! This would be a game-changer. Our team runs dozens of projects that need to use the same workflows.

1 Like

This is great news, thanks. However, what seriously limits (and likely eradicates) its usefulness is the fact that a Task template is only available in the Project it was created in. Our workspace contains different Teams each with many Projects. We currently have a ‘Tasks’ project in a central Team where users from all Teams can duplicate tasks and move them into a Project. So, the ability to access common Task templates in all Teams and Projects is essential for this to be useful for us.

9 Likes

Agree! @Martin12 That is similar to how we work as well. This is NOT useful unless common task templates are accessible from any/all Teams and Projects.

4 Likes

Nice update, will take out the problem we’ve had when people accidentally modify the template. I wish you could set it up for multiple projects. I saw your note that it doesn’t currently support that. That would be the only drawback for now.
But I have a workaround. I’ve just had to duplicate the template in the other project, set it up the same from scratch, and set up rules for both projects so when the new tasks are created with the templates they are automatically added to the other. I Will see how this goes, seems like it should work the same without having to worry about the template being screwed up.

Thanks

1 Like

First limitation I see for automation, would be to allow to automatically make the task creator as Assignee. And, for subtasks, allow to assign the subtasks to the same person who’s assigned to the main task.

That would help automate quite a lot of manual steps for sure.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, @Martin12 and @jeremyw! I don’t think we have a thread in our #productfeedback category for this request, do you mind creating one so other customers can upvote as well? Thank you!

1 Like

That’s done @Emily_Roman - see Make Task templates available to other projects (Task templates library) (FYI @jeremyw)

2 Likes

Two questions: Once a template task is created how can you edit/modify it? And if you have custom fields implemented on subtasks with data in them - do those get saved within the template as well so they are already existing when you create from the template? Or is the field just already existing but the data has to be manual populated each time?

Hi @Kimberly_Yanni,

See this from above:

Yes, they are saved with the template.

2 Likes

1. Editing Task Templates

You can edit it by clicking on Customize and then the task template you want to edit.

2. Custom Fields on Subtasks with Task Templates

Custom fields in subtasks do carry over when created a template from its parent task — yes. Same with descriptions. Comments will not carry over though.

3 Likes