Introducing our new Spreadsheet-Inspired List View!

So I just tried this out… it is better but not great. As you can see it gets wider by a set amount, but for a Field like the one in my screen shot “Projects” everything is truncated and only a couple of items show. It would be great if we could just grab the edge of the column (like Google Sheets, Excel, etc) and just widen it to the width we need.

4 Likes

It is something we are looking into @Jason_Quiz but it will take a little longer to build, so in the meantime we wanted to give you a first option to resize columns. I’ll make sure to keep you posted as soon as I have an update!

3 Likes

How to add a new task is now slower and annoying:

• Click on a cell.
  • Press enter.
  • Press enter again. ← This is incredibly frustrating.

Asana was great because it felt like you are typing out tasks in notepad. It was so speedy.

The new interface is so clumsy. Clicking outside the text opens the slide out panel. Clicking the text doesn’t. Its such poor UX.

And now it is slower than a spreadsheet for adding new tasks. In a spreadsheet I can click a cell, type something, then press down, then add a new task.

In Asana, I have to press enter twice.

Also, so much wasted space where you could show tags or containing projects.

Bring back the original Asana product manager from the early days please!

9 Likes

Looking into an alternative task management program since this new List view has severally limited my productivity. Steps back were taken. Never lose functions to gain functions. It’s just not a good idea.

6 Likes

please let us add a date to a task without having to touch the mouse!

eg enter task name, hit TAB-D type today, hit enter.

this is not currently possible with the new list view.

5 Likes

Hi @Clayton_Chipper, this is something we’re aware of, please follow Issue with shortcut behaviour in the new task list for updates.

1 Like

Will that include adjusting the ‘task name’ column?

I’ve read a bit about why the section headers are as they are now and I understand how it came to evolve given the list/board/list view. (Personally love the swap back and forth been amazing for us.)

My largest issue is Where did the description of my sections go? I had important information for my team in the section description regarding how to handle the tasks within.

It was also beneficial to be able to assign a section. It seems like even in board view you could be able to selection a section and see info on it if you wanted and that would maintain the content integrity.

3 Likes

For any section which contained data (description, dates, fields set, etc.), as part of the conversion Asana should have created a task with the exact same name as the section, placed right underneath the section, containing all of the data previously in the section. Do you see that task?

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Where can I fins the project description and status?

A post was split to a new topic: Sums of numerical custom fields

I’ve used Asana for 2+ years and converted 2 companies to Asana, totalling 100 new people.

This update destroyed our workflow and now we have to find ways around it. Instead of making our life easier, it made it harder. This is the first time in 2 years when I regret choosing Asana.

Please return the old view and stop forcing badly designed features. :pleading_face:

11 Likes

Please rollback to the previous list view! I have over 50 employees on Asana. We have developed dozens of highly detailed templates, and this new view is completely throwing off our workflow. This is really BAD!

1. The panel that opens on the side hides critical information

2. Adding tasks is now clunky

3. Removing sections becomes a multi step process

4. Exporting to CSV to format the timeline for client consumption has become a manual/labor intensive process.

I am starting to evaluate competing tools. Unless I have the option to rollback, I will look to migrate off the entire company in 2020.

7 Likes

Are there any updates on the changes you made in the latest update that have slowed workflow? It’s absurd that you have forced users to actually click into fields (when the right pane is closed) to assign individuals and set due dates. You can use keyboard shortcuts, but you can’t just start immediately typing like you used to. And even when you click in the date field to activate it, you still have to use your mouse to click a date.

You’re adding additional features at a wildfire pace, but it’s hard to get excited about that when you are actually slowing things down at the most basic level for your users. Same deal with the previous “TAB-N to create section” change. Shaking up basic functionality that for many of us is muscle memory.

3 Likes

Yes. We need the Details also.
Now there are so many more mouse clicks needed to get to information.

5 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Keep collapsed sections collapsed when saved under “Save layout as default”

Please revert! As others are saying, this update is terrible for productivity. It’s taking way more clicks to get to what I’m used to seeing. Adding new tasks is even a pain now.

3 Likes

Preach! I hate the new interface.

1 Like

I like new layout but miss the ability to use the same sections across multiple projects for consistency. This is beneficial for my templates and client projects.

Has anyone found a workaround for this?

I like the new add task mini popup window but would like to see more option added like the ability to mark for dependency or convert to subject.

I do agree the clicks to create a tasks using “enter” has increased or at least acts weird.

Some of the keyboard shortcuts no longer work for their intended purpose.

Hi @Ufuoma_Ogaga,

Were you multi-homing sections to your projects and templates? If so, I would set up a template with section headers so you can pull in those section titles to your projects when you start a new project.

Katie