Option to exclude archived projects/tasks from search

+1 for stop showing the archived tasks at all in searches or My Tasks until projects is restored!

4 Likes

It’s a particularly frustrating experience assigning a task to projects when there are a lot of archived projects. Even if the archived projects are shown at the bottom of the list, this would be an improvement!

2 Likes

Got it. A bit silly, but it makes sense and at least works. Thanks.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more.

I agree with everyone in this forum. Please address this issue ASAP!!!

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Archived Projects by Team

Hi everyone! :wave:

We are aware this is a very popular topic among the Community, so first of all thank you to everyone who voted and submitted ideas to display subtasks.

In order for us to gain more clarity on what matters the most to you among all ideas listed here, we have decided to split this main thread into sub-threads specifically referring to archived projects showing in My Tasks.

I would highly encourage you to cast your vote on the threads which you consider the most important. :slight_smile:

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath ,
The original post was from 2017 and since then, arguably since ever, archiving procedures have not changed. Archiving a project means putting all its contents out of sight until it is needed again. Searchable, it you go there specifically.
I have seen the current behaviour classified as “expected behaviour”, but just because it was design like that and it works as it was designed, it certainly it is not expected. Perhaps it is not a design bug, but it is certainly a design flaw, and one that is incredibly annoying.
None of the workarounds actually work in both unclutter the myTasks and keeping the integrity of the project when it was archived.

Please solve this soon. At least give us some feedback if this is being at all considered.

From your post it sounds as if it is not being considered.
Thanks, N

3 Likes

100% agree. . this as EXPECTED BEHAVIOR is a terrible ‘canned’ response!

3 Likes

When I do a search I am having tasks appear that are in an archived project. Is this what this issue from 2017 is about, because I am surprised its been 4 years and it still shows?

The projects in question for me are for customers that have left and no longer customers. BUT I dont want to delete the project to remove the tasks just in case they come back or have queries. Marking as complete means they still show up.

How can I not have them show up in search but still keep the project and task just in case?

2 Likes

This is complete crap that this is still an issue after all these years. This specific issues is the one reason I’m now leaving Asana. I need a less messy task list, but this behavior is completely stupid. Good bye asana.

1 Like

+1 to this feature. Archived projects are showing up in searches, and tasks from archived projects are obfuscating the information in reporting dashboards. Every workaround I’ve seen requires manual procedures.

Maybe I haven’t encountered it, but I don’t see the use case that the current function of the Archiving solves for. What is the purpose of flagging a project as “archived” if Asana does not allow users to differentiate between tasks and projects using that designation?

Please add the options to filter tasks in from searches and dashboards based on the Archived status of the projects they are in. If a task is multi-homed into an active project and an archived one, I think it would be acceptable to include consider a task “active” as long as it exists in at least 1 non-archived project.

1 Like

If you ask me, I don’t consider this thread a feature request, I do think this is about fixing a bug.
The archiving function as it stands, does make no sense at all. It only makes sense considering it as a feature that has a bug which means it’s not achieving its outcome.
I’d suggest the best solution would be that when searching for tasks (of any kind), or within the MyTasks menu, by default archived tasks from archived projects should not be visible. If needed for any reason, there should be an option to allow people to see them as well.

The fact that this hasn’t been FIXED in 2022 escapes my comprehension.

5 Likes

Definitely not going to continue using asana if this simple bug can’t be fixed.

1 Like

what’s happen is the usual closed businessmind that nothing exists except inthe present, and the fact that the present also exists “right now” for over a decade, but now in the future all those previous presents that existed over a decade in their own nows… need to be filtered out, ASANA assumes that life is only now and that no other nows from the past will be need to be put safely put to bed, there is only now and only now in which to give eye candy to complete something, but not organise stuff through a longer now… so coming here and seeing how this has not been dealt with for some 6 years, at least, it would appear this feature is baked into the design somewhere, because they never considered the use case of a decade of usage, typical start-up lazines, ASANA you are not going to get my money

Has this issue been resolved?

If not can someone from Asana shed light on how to both hide and/or easily denote tasks from archived projects in reporting and retain the historical record of where projects were at (including task details) at the time of archiving.

Coming from Workfront (where projects could actually, truly be archived) and now using Asana the amount of time spent trying to find a workaround for this has been absolutely maddening. To echo others here this seems like it should be a very standard feature of any project management tool, so to see that it has been open for over half a decade is confusing and, frankly, concerning.

Thanks in advance for any tips on how to workaround this issue…

2 Likes

I agree with everyone above. In the end I think this is a major flaw to using Asana properly, which has me regularly looking at other systems, just because of this. I am sure many active users for years can have well over 100 projects and much more… and not being able to simply archive with an ‘out of sight, out of mind’ logic… is very strange. Like many above… I can be working on the same project for years with regular pauses and then active again for smaller updates. This flaw can often make Asana almost unusable. Such a shame as I like Asana very much, which makes this so strange that Asana does not sort his somehow. My feeling is this flaw is costing Asana dearly…

1 Like

We have been migrating our team and process to Asana, but we’ve recently discovered this flaw in workflow and honestly this may be a hard stop for us. I can’t comprehend how anybody at Asana though this was a good idea. Wow.

I’m sure this has been asked already, I did not read every single comment, but what would be helpful for our team is to default excluding archived content from search and then under advanced search, an option to “include archived” projects or tasks. Seems simple enough? lol

Including content we are done with makes the powerful asana search time-consuming, and whatever is time-consuming or cumbersome won’t be used.

Archived projects and tasks in reporting is also a nightmare, as well as search. Setting up reports for incomplete tasks by owner, or tasks by project, and am getting archived projects dominating the list.

We don’t just want to mark all the archived tasks as complete, because they were not completed. And sometimes we need to call upon that information. But they shouldn’t appear in reports about live projects.

There’s no way to hide archived projects from reports and I find that baffling. Same as search.