Import to update existing tasks

When I have a drop down custom field, and I add options, those are case sensitive and it won’t let me add both “option” and “Option”. But when I import such a data, it creates new field and adds both options.

Hi @Tetiana_Kushla, welcome to the Asana Community Forum and thanks for sharing your feedback with us! As it stands, it’s currently not possible to import a CSv file to update existing fields and tasks. We have a thread requesting this feature so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with Import to update existing tasks to centralize feedback!

Hi,

I was not talking about existing fields, I was talking about new fields. There is an issue with validation. Asana allows to import the data which, if added manually, is being validated as incorrect. So import imports invalid data.

Hello! Another vote and comment for this task. This would be incredibly useful for my team!

Thanks,
Drew

Voted too! Was just looking for this feature :slight_smile:

Voted here also! Would be great to have the ability to add Subtasks into existing tasks from a CSV file following a certain format or a specificly named column header!

I was researching how to do this hoping we could do it. Our organization recently adopted Asana, and we already have two cases where this would be a huge time saver. Voting two thumbs up that this is something you put on your roadmap.

5 Likes

I recently found a pretty good workaround for this.

I was working on a project with ExistingTaskA, ExistingTaskB, etc. (70+ of them…)

I created a CSV to import those tasks:

• NewTaskA
    • Subtask A1, Subtask of: NewTaskA
    • Subtask A2, Subtask of: NewTaskA
  • NewTaskB
    • Subtask B1, Subtask of: NewTaskB
    • Subtask B2, Subtask of: NewTaskB

I imported all that.

Then, in Asana I opened NewTaskX and marked it as a duplicate of ExistingTaskX. This closed NewTaskX and imported all its subtasks under… ExistingTaskX.

I was happy with this one. Hopefully it can help you and others.

Thanks to Mickael @ Asana for his help throughout too.

Hello Bruno

Can you tell me please how you marked the NewTaskX as a duplicate of the ExistingTaskX ?

Rahmane

Advanced Actions > Merge duplicate tasks

Seems this only adds new tasks/subtasks to existing projects/tasks and doesn’t add to existing tasks/subtasks