I'm trying to evaluate Asana, but the feature I may need may be paid

I’m thinking of using Asana to manage my processes, but I need to know if it can meet the following requirements:

1. I work in Internal Audit. I’ll need to create a list of controls & risks, these will results in a task that will be an instance to test the controls. I do want to be able to associate the task to risks and a control that I can report on to show how my risks are covered and their resulting tests.
  2. I need to be able to assign a tester and a reviewer and those individuals should sign off on the task when they are done and it will automatically send an alert to a reviewer.
  3. I need to be able to send a request for support for a test (so i’m assuming somehome I’ll need to link the request to the test so that once we are provided the request the tester gets an alert to start working on that task.
  4. Internal audits follow a similar workflow from request to test to review, but each task may need their own custom template with single select, multi-select and user select fields.
  5. Additionally I want to limit which fields can be modified from the request and the test page based on roles (requestee, requestor/tester, reviewer)

Is this something someone is using Asana for that may be willing to talk to me about how they use it?

Hi @David_Rudd and welcome to forums!

Reading through your lists of needs, it sounds like all of these things can be set up in Asana. Let me try and address each on in general

1. I work in Internal Audit. I’ll need to create a list of controls & risks, these will results in a task that will be an instance to test the controls. I do want to be able to associate the task to risks and a control that I can report on to show how my risks are covered and their resulting tests.

I don’t work in internal audit so I may not understand your use case specifically here but it sounds like you could probably accomplish this using Project Templates and Task Templates. Additionally you can use Custom Fields to further customize the tasks and projects to suit your needs.

1. I need to be able to assign a tester and a reviewer and those individuals should sign off on the task when they are done and it will automatically send an alert to a reviewer.

You should be able to accomplish this by creating the task and creating a subtask for the tester and reviewer that is assigned to them and they can complete individually.

1. I need to be able to send a request for support for a test (so i’m assuming somehome I’ll need to link the request to the test so that once we are provided the request the tester gets an alert to start working on that task.

I think you can also take care of this using task dependencies so you can notify the tester when the request task is completed the tester gets an alert to start working on the testing task.

1. Internal audits follow a similar workflow from request to test to review, but each task may need their own custom template with single select, multi-select and user select fields.

Tasks/projects can be customized using custom fields that include single select, multi-select, and user-entry fields. Using these you should be able to set it up any way you need.

1. Additionally I want to limit which fields can be modified from the request and the test page based on roles (requestee, requestor/tester, reviewer)

This one is going to be a bit harder to accomplish as you cant define which individual fields can be edited on a project/task. You only have the ability to give users edit or view/comment only permissions to a project. I imagine you could probably accomplish this using multiple projects (one for the requestee, one for the requestor/testor, and one for the reviewer) and the multi-homing the tasks but without knowing in detail how the workflow would need to function it’s hard for me to say what the solution would look like in Asana.

Hopefully this answers most of your questions but if you want to chat more please let me know! Also, if any other @ambforumleader or @pforumleader have any suggestions I would love to hear them!

Cheers,
Matt

6 Likes

One more thing, @lpb has a fantastic on-demand Asana course on how to design almost any workflow in Asana and you can find it here: Tackle (almost) anything in Asana: Step-by-step [Free Workshop Webinar Video in Asana Academy] - #3 by lpb

If you are anyone else seeing this is serious about trying to get workflows designed in a smart way in Asana I cannot stress enough how useful this course is!

Cheers,
Matt

3 Likes

Since you mention audit, I suppose data security and traceability is really important to you. Please be aware that Asana is NOT designed with either of those things in mind. History within a Task (like what edits were made, and by whom and when) and even Tasks themselves can be deleted without notification or traceability. See Prevent Users from Deleting Tasks - #3 by Ben_Brenner

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.