Ideas to improve creation of Follow Up Tasks

Hello fellow Asana Gurus!

How many of you use the Create Follow Up task feature?
I started using it a lot lately and I have found few things that require some efficiencies, not sure what your thoughts are:

1. When you create a follow up task, the pop up window appears - the follow up task is not assigned to any project. I think it is fair to assume that the follow up should be automatically assigned within the same project and have us delete if that is not the case.
  2. When I add the project to the follow up task, there is no where on the pop up window that allows me to automatically move the task to its relevant section. I have to wait until it is created then I need to move it within the project
  3. I like that I can immediately edit the custom fields in it, adding a document there and then would also be great feature to have.

This means that the minute I click create, the entire task is ready to go and requires no additional house keeping from my end!

thoughts?

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us @Rashad_Issa; I agree with you, there is definitely room for improving this feature!

I’m not sure if I’d like the follow-up task to be automatically added to the parent project as I often use this feature to create a reminder for myself; I don’t necessarily want other project members to have access to it. With that said, I’d love to select a section and add the task to the project in one step!

3 Likes

Yes, I see the feature of adding follow up to yourself.
Different user cases :slight_smile: and both are valid.

I use the follow up within the same project in various ways. One way is while capturing minutes of meeting that belong to a key milestone.
Any action item that is relevant to that milestone kick off or sign off, is created as a follow up! Hence, why the default of the same project would work for me. :wink:

3 Likes

I would love the new task defaults to its parent project… (looks like this Extra feature is not in my Extra personnal menu anymore… but a mainstream functionality)

When I create a follow-up task the task is created in outside of the project in which the original task existed. I think that by default it should be created in the same project and section as the original task.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Maciej_Klepaczewski :wave:and thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

In order to consolidate feedback, I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with an existing thread on this topic. I hope it’s OK. Please, feel free to leave your vote on this thread!

Have a great Monday!

1 Like

I agree with @Marie above; I would not want the follow-up created by default in the same project because I think a number of us use this as personal reminders often. So if the feature is considered, I’d ask that there is a setting to control it; thanks.

3 Likes

When a followup task is created, the original task should have a note inside it linking to the followup.

2 Likes

That’s not really workable because the follow-up task is private to one user, so any other users who would click the link would get a “you don’t have access to this task” error.

Of course it’s workable. There’s a heap of ways it can be workable.

Came [quote=“Aaron, post:8, topic:33820, full:true”]
When a followup task is created, the original task should have a note inside it linking to the followup.
[/quote]

Came here just to request this feature. The details of the previous task are already added to the follow up task, but the link is not created on the original task. I have to do this manually every time…

It would also be awesome if Asana had the ability to create multiple follow-up tasks at once. I manage the backlog for two nearly identical mobile apps. In order to manage the tasks in separate projects (no I don’t want the same task in both projects), I copy the entire project from one app and then delete or add to the duplicated tasks there. A better option would be if I could select multiple tasks and create followup from them.