Ideas/Feedback to display subtasks

is this bug fixed now?

I’ve been following this thread for the last couple of years, truly appreciate all the constructive dialogue going on here.

But I’m still not able to visualize subtasks on my list, board, or timeline. :frowning: – Viewing the subtasks in list would be so helpful! And if we could get the custom fields extend down to the subtasks that’d be great too! Hope we can get this going soon

If you open up a subtask, you can use the dropdown to add it to a project (or tab+p keyboard shortcut) and add that subtask to the project its parent task is in. It shows up in the list view & board view, as well as the calendar and timeline if you have a due date on it (and can afford premium to get the timeline view). It’s a pain to add each individual subtask, but on the other hand I can then remove completed subtasks from the project (note that it only removes them from view, it does not delete them) so it’s more clear what’s up next. I can set up future projects with all their subtasks and due dates, but only leave the parent showing so I can overview the major list of clients coming up without getting bogged down with due dates for individual elements. It’s a tradeoff, but it’s one I’m willing to make right now to get the best of both worlds

I really don’t think this should’ve taken over 2 years to discuss. The worst part about it is, it’s still not implemented.

This idea is a solid idea. It would show you the project at a high level. It should be an on/off type deal. Do you wish to see all subtasks or not? do you wish to see all subtasks or all active subtasks? yes or no?

Please make this happen today if possible because I need this yesterday.

Thanks Team Asana!

3 Likes

I would love to tag the Asana Team so that they can see what the people want. I took the time to show you, I think I’ve also seen a similar example elsewhere on here. It’s been about 3 years since this has been requested, and still nothing. To put it bluntly, my entire team is looking to jump ship because of this. Hopefully that will get someone’s attention.

Is it in the works still? Is it even a thought on Dev side? Are we writing these suggestions for no reason?

Give us something. I love Asana, and I use it daily, but this has become such a nuisance and a pain in the rear that I can no longer justify not using somthing else.

Hopefully somebody will listen and take this into serious consideration.

And to all Asana members who want this: Upvote, Like, do whatever/however to get Asana’s attention that this needs to be done.

Thanks

5 Likes

Thank you Yazz! You are so right.
And dear Asana Team, please! Give us at least an update if this is even taken into consideration…

NEWS
in the list view on desktop you may expand the list to see subtask.

thanks for that, but …

no way to sort the subtasks by due date ???

could you please fire your programming team?

a workaround to see subtasks on android mobile is to setup a custom search on desktop which includes subtasks in result list …
save that to a report and call the saved search report on mobile.

So, it looks like Asana finally made progress on this task and got the first step in the right direction done. THANK YOU, Team Asana!

Next action item:

1. Expand capability to subtasks of subtasks, keep the drop-down feature going

Thanks again and great job!

Definitely a step in the right direction! Next is to implement that unicorn feature of auto assigning a subtask to the parent task’s project(s).

I am VERY excited tonight to see this is a feature in one of my newer workspaces! Also recently noticed the expand/collapse buttons on section titles. This does make the whole "Tab+N" our new shortcut to create Sections worth it, at the end of the day.

My next request would be for “Collapse All” and “Expand All” options. Perhaps a drop down that includes

• Collapse all sections
  • Collapse all tasks (so not showing subtasks), or collapse to level 1 (tasks one), level 2 (first level of subtasks, etc - in anticipation we might eventually get subtasks of subtasks also in the list view)
  • Expand all tasks (show all subtasks)
  • Expand all sections (show only tasks, not subtasks)

@Marie Not even sure if this is the place to leave feedback and comments on this feature, but saw that some other threads had been merged in here - feel free to move this if necessary.

Edit: Sorry, just realised this is in the Mobile section on the site, but this is related to desktop only. In that case, please do move this to somewhere more suitable.

2 Likes

The new subtasks and comment icons are really helpful.

Please bring them to mobile (iPhone/Android)

100%! Can we have option to expand subtask all the time? Pretty Plz!!

1 Like

Yes, so excited for subtask functionality. I hope the expand feature won’t take 3 years! :joy:

1 Like

Don’t jinx it! lol

Please bring the subtask indicator to iOS and Android!

1 Like

Just wanted to come back and also say how happy I am to see this feature :clap: . Assigning the subtask to the parent project should be the next priority in this workstream :wink:

2 Likes

Good new is since you can now see Subs in list view, just Shift Click them all, Tab + P and then assign them to the parent task. Hopefully this will be automatic in the future but this is a great next step! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to add a vote for infinite nesting visibility, not just the one level that we currently have - although very happy that this feature is now released. I have been evaluating Asana for 2 years and currently once again on a trial, and was previously disappointed that subtasks weren’t able to be seen on the list view.

I would also like to see some capability to handle subtasks on the Board View. ClickUp does this well, and it’s a feature that is well regarded by their users, many of whom have converted from Asana. You actually have an array of options:

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Brian_Massey, thanks for the tip re: how to put a batch of subtasks in list view using shift all. For some reason, however, when I shift all and select the subtasks I am still only able to move one at a time.

What are you supposed to do have shift all and selecting subtasks you want to move to list view? In other words, what do you then click to do the command Tab + P?