Ideas/Feedback to display subtasks

Thanks for your response. When I attempt to Tab+P, in a project. nothing happens when I’m in the main project. Or if I’m in a task already, it opens the project description drop-down so that I can tag a project. Of course, I’m already inside of a particular project, so this project is already tagged…so I don’t think that a task is the right place to Tab+P & add a subtask directly to a project. No screen comes up to allow me add a subtask directly to a project. Is there another way of doing this without the Tab+P shortcut, by clicking in the menu options (or maybe I’m not pressing Tab+P on the correct screen)?

It’s not clear to me what you’re asking. I saw a question on Tab-P on Windows but nothing else until your last post. It seems you’re asking about adding a subtask; that would be Tab-S. You can get help on shortcuts Ctrl-/ and general info at How to use Asana, Asana tutorials, onboarding tips, and team use cases | Product guide • Asana Product Guide.

For some reason my replies aren’t getting attached to the original questions…they’re just independently hanging out there.

My original comment was a response to Alexis’ comment/response to the original question (it’s above). Her comment was as follows: “We’ve noted your feedback, thank you! In the meantime I suggest that you add subtasks to a project if you’d like to view them in the main project list. Just use shortcut Tab+P to add a subtask to a project.”

Then I replied and asked if it worked in Windows, You replied and said “yes” - then I replied again with the following:

" Thanks for your response. When I attempt to Tab+P, in a project. nothing happens when I’m in the main project. Or if I’m in a task already, it opens the project description drop-down so that I can tag a project. Of course, I’m already inside of a particular project, so this project is already tagged…so I don’t think that a task is the right place to “Tab+P” and add a subtask directly to a project. No screen comes up to allow me add a subtask directly to a project. Is there another way of doing this without the Tab+P shortcut, by clicking in the menu options (or maybe I’m not pressing Tab+P on the correct screen)?"

I think I understand. First, descend into the subtask by clicking the icon noted below:

Once the right pane is showing “some subtask” (instead of showing the parent task) then use Tab-P to add the subtask to the project.

@Eyal_Torjman, check out this topic about Subtasks automatically being added tot the Project.

2 Likes

Is there any timeline on feature?

The option to see a Sub-Tasks in project task list under the parent task would be very helpful. My team has mentioned this consistently. Simple but powerful need is using Asana to track OKRs. Setting task as objective and sub task as key result. You have to keep clicking into them to be reminded and they do not display well in a presentation.

2 Likes

This would be invaluable! I wish I could add multiple hearts

1 Like

THIS IS WHAT I NEED, please! Thank you for this simple visual.

1 Like

It is so easy to overlook subtasks when they don’t naturally appear on the Task List. Please show them under their parent and indented - even if you can’t collapse them right now - at least it is a huge leap forward.

Thanks!

4 Likes

See that this thread has been going on for awhile but adding my voice to the mix. Subtasks are super helpful on big projects and seeing even a simple roll-up of 12 of 21 completed would be incredibly helpful as well as others have noted having them auto assigned to the parent project.

4 Likes

How do we get sub tasks to appear on the main project window. One would there would be an indicator at least

There are other requests like this, you can find them using the search. I’ll let @Marie merge your thread :v:
(spoiler: there is no indicator indeed and also because sub tasks are not part of the project they appear in the middle pane unless multi homed)

+1 to showing subtasks in the task list (right below the main task would be great, and collapsable would be ideal) + showing the subtasks on the timeline.

My workaround at the moment is to manually add each subtask to the main project and then manually drag the subtask below the parent task. So possible today but involves a lot of friction.

Dear Asana team,

It would be really helpful to introduce foldable / unfoldable subtasks in List project view, especially for large longterm projects where milestones are used.
Also the ability to create a subtask by pressing Enter when under a parent task in the List.

Attached is an example of such project where if colour-marked subtasks were foldable, people like project managers would get a perfect high-level view, and developers could unfold and see the details they need. Thus, a single view would serve all.

It would also remove two UI/UX user un-friendly and time-consuming issues:

1. The need go into each subtask and add them to the project manually (as default, when created they are not assigned to any project).

2. Currently, if subtasks are only inside the parent task (hidden, not assigned to project), to see subtask details a user needs to go into task, then into subtask details, which switches the subtask into fullscreen view and is unhandy.

I believe thousands of users and numerous teams using Asana not only in software development would really appreciate the possibility to fold / unfold subtasks.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Alexandr

4 Likes

Hi @Alexandr, thank you so much for sharing your feedback in the forum! It’s very helpful for our team! We have an existing thread regarding this topic so I’ve merged your post to gather all feedbacks in one place!

Hope that is OK to you. Thanks again. Have a great Monday! :grinning:

Hi @Natalia, thank you.
Didn’t come to my mind to look under such topic name. It surprises me even more now, as I can see numerous and continuous similar/same requests from dozens of active users since 2017.

Why this function still has not been introduced to Asana?!

It is such a small thing that makes so much difference!

Please address this as an urgent functionality improvement to the decision-making team in Asana.

Look forward, among thousands of users, to seeing it implemented in the near update.
Thank you very much!
Alex

Hi @Alexandr,

Thank you for your honest feedback. We definitely hear you! As Asana users, we are experiencing the same difficulties and we are aware Subtask need some improvements. Although it looks like a small and easy fix, in the backend it’s a lot more complicated and generate a lot of modifications across all Asana.

Our Team will be looking into improving Subtasks later this year; however, I’m not yet capable to share any precise timeline. We really appreciate your patience and rest ensured we will share information with the Community as soon as we are in a position to do so.

Have a great afternoon!

1 Like

I would like to suggest that you should be able to toggle subtasks display in the main list. I would personally prefer not to have the subtasks in the main display. Is there a way to do this, or should it be implemented?

This is clearly an issue where this product is maturing and is being seen and used as a true project management tool across larger organizations and projects. I would definitely like to see this done right rather than quick. One of the great things about Asana is the UI and this is a tough problem to solve elegantly without devolving into Microsoft project territory. It heartening to hear that it appears that there is internal movement to get this addressed. I would love to see a blog about this from the product team, there is clearly community interest in the topic.

2 Likes

After looking into the suggestion of Dmitry, I really support his idea. Foldable/arborescence subtasks from main tasks in the list view would be extremely useful.