I was forced to create a dummy project in order to get to my real one

I joined yesterday and created an account. I could not find the project that I was going to be working on via any searchers, including the leader of the account by name or email. I figured it might not be public or such, so I had them send me an invite.

When I clicked on the invite or the project board they initially sent me, it did not join but took me to the search page. I could not get past this from any link; even the email Asana sent me to join their project. I eventually created a dummy project, and it took me to the real one I was invited to.

This seems a bug, but worse there is no help support or any way around it. Were I not a curious developer myself, I bet most folks would be stuck. I had to search google even to find the support page to get help. I understand not wanting to field a thousand random questions, but you have a big FAQ, why not link to that on every page?

Welcome to the Forum @Tony_Lowe and thank you so much for reaching out in the Forum!

Apologies for all the confusion here. When you are invited to join an Organization, after creating an account you will land on this screen where you have the option to either create a new team and/or join existing teams within this Organization. Once you pass this step, you should be able to find the Project or team you were invited to within the right space and switching between spaces if needed.

I’m sorry to hear that you were facing trouble through the whole process and I’m happy to relay this feedback to our New User Experience Team for their consideration. If you have any further account-set up questions, or any other question regarding Asana please let me know, I’ll be more than happy to assist you further!

And in case you need to, y you should be able to reach out to the support team following these steps:

1. Access asana.com/support
  2. Select “I’m having trouble with”
  3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select “Let’s chat”

Have a nice Friday!

Same happened to me - forced to create a team to start using app on desktop. Joined on smartphone from an email.

Terrible usability/onboarding experience.

Hi @davechaffey and welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and sincere apologies for all the inconvenience caused! Our Product team is aware of the difficulties this might cause and it is currently working make this onboarding experience easier for all of our users.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It is very important for us to understand and to work toward future improvements!

Have a nice day!

Nice response Natalia, good to hear you’re on it! Enjoying the sophistication so far compared to Basecamp!

1 Like

Is there an update to this? We’re trying to have people as collaborators on tasks for tracking purposes, they don’t need to be on a team and they are part of the organization. Requiring people to join a team (capped at 15 for free teams) or make one (to then leave it languishing or to delete it) is not a good onboarding experience, and it makes what should be an easy process needlessly more complicated and introduces uncertainty within the first 2 minutes of many people’s first experience with Asana - not to mention it makes providing clear instructions on the process more difficult. People don’t need to be part of any team to be invited as a collaborator to a task, so this really needs to be addressed. Thank you.